Skip to main content

31 Days to a Fruitful Marriage Day Nineteen: Surround Yourselves with Godly Couples

 
We've touched on this on other days, but it's incredibly important to surround yourself with not just good couples, but Godly couples. Couple who know and understand the relationship God wants us to have together.
 
I am always reminded of the movie with Kirstie  Alley and Tim Allen called For Richer or Poorer where they are forced into an Amish community in hiding. Before they go there, they have a horrible marriage and are surrounded by selfish friends who encourage them to be selfish too. When they are surrounded by strong people who encourage selflessness, they begin to change how they see each other. The movie is a little silly, but you get the idea. I've seen horrible advice given on Facebook especially to wives that encouraged thoughtless and selfish acts of retaliation to husbands. Look at many of the celebrity relationships, people with open marriages who allow their spouses to have relationships with other people. It is so easy to go, "well, if they do it, I can do it too!" We look to other people to justify our actions even when we know they are wrong. Don't have friends who encourage your own selfish behavior and thoughts, it will only help destroy instead of help build up. Have friends who will tell you when you are being selfish, or are acting in ways that are unbiblical or downright wrong. Of course, this requires being OK with being held accountable, but it is definitely better than the alternative.
 
Sometimes, when we are lost, we just don't know the right direction to take. Other Godly couples can be helpful in that, too. Being a part of a marriage ministry where you can take classes and go on retreats that encourage Godly marriages can be lifesaving in a marriage. Just think - bad influences are stronger sometimes than good ones, so don't even give bad influences a chance.
 
There might also come a time when your marriage becomes one to model others after - you just never know when your experiences could help save another marriage.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.