Skip to main content

Are You Confident In Your Choices In Motherhood?

Today, Kelly's Korner is doing a link up on "Being Confident in Your Choices in Motherhood." I thought I would add to the conversation.
 
As much as I hate to admit it, I am both a mom and a stepmom. No matter how much I'd love for it to be different, it's just not. I hardly ever have guilt about Avery or feel wishy washy on the things I want and ask from her. But I feel guilt, constantly, about my stepkids. I have a hard time being a stepmom sometimes. A REAL hard time. In fact, it's probably the thing I struggle with most in my life. What's hard about it is that I don't ask different things of them then I ask of Avery. The difference is that Avery hears my expectation from her, day in and day out, since she was born. My stepkids have two homes with two seperate influences, so I get frustrated at times with behavior and words that are used that are OK at their moms but not OK here. And I know they get frustrated as well. Things are different there than they are here. I know that's upsetting for a kid to deal with. I have no idea what it would be like for them, having not been a kid of divorce, but I am sure it's difficult.

I am constantly asking myself if I am doing the right thing with them. I am constantly second guessing myself. I am constantly asking myself if my expectations of them should be the same as Avery or if they should be different. I wish I knew better how to navigate this road as a stepmom, but I do my best and hope for the best.

I am very confident in the choices I have made and make for Avery. I try not to take all of her milestons and "should be's" too seriously. (Should be potty training, should be sleeping in a big girl bed.) Both Jason and I have a very clear idea of how we want her to be raised and how we want her to grow up and the type of person she should become (in relation to how she treats others, loves Jesus, etc.) I also don't mind if Avery doesn't like me at a moment when I am getting on to her, I know she will get over it, that I am her mom and always will be. I worry alot about my stepkids not liking me or looking back on their childhood with us with resentment and anger. I really struggle with the line between being an authorative figure in their life and them living in our house and abiding by the expectations of our family and being the stepmom they want to come around when they get older, who they can talk to. I want them to know, as adults, that even though I didn't always do everything right, I still love them very much and want to be there for them, always. It's hard to explain that to an 8 year old and 11 year old, whether they are your bio-kids or not.

Do you have stepkids? Do you struggle with these as well?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That "Thing" in That Basket Isn't a Baby, You Know That, Right?

I have had the most horrible case of writer's block lately! With that said, I saw this article on Babycenter and I just had to write something about it.   So, we've heard of the trend of eating the placenta after birth . We've heard of the trend of putting them in pill form to get the nutrients . But this? This to me, is just the craziest of them all.   As a group of beings on this planet, I've never seen any other mammal who evolves to get to a certain place, then de-evolves on purpose, to be more "natural." I am sure I am seriously about to put my foot in my mouth, I am sure there are (some) people out there that I might offend with my "closed-mindedness" on this topic. But this is just, well, ridiculous to me.   Basically, after the placenta comes out, instead of cutting the cord and detaching it from the baby, you leave the placenta on, they salt it to help with the decomp process, add rosemary (I am guessing for the smell?), then p...

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst...

Why I am Pro Universal Healthcare and Changes to Our Healthcare System

Due to my recent proactivity with my credit and paying off debt, I decided to give the hospital a call where I was admitted about a month ago and ask about my bill. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it in the mail and I wanted to get an idea of what I'd be paying for my stay. I get on the phone with the billing department and the woman is just as nice as can be, really. She was surprised I'd even called her, considering I didn't even have a bill yet. She told me she'd sent the bill over to my insurance to be approved and paid but they hadn't heard back yet. "Just out of curiosity," I asked, knowing I would be responsible for 20% of the final bill, "how much was it?" What I heard next shocked me.   "$61,000" she said.   I said, "$61,000? I was only in the hospital for a night and only on anti-biotics, you can't be serious! My daughter cost me less than a third of that to give birth to and I was in the hospital two nights!...