Skip to main content

Your Calling

Today is Tuesday, which means it's once again time for "Inspire Us Tuesdays!" Today's topic is this: Your Calling: What do you believe is your true calling in your church? Is there a ministry you would like to become a part of but haven't? Why or why not?
 
When I was younger, I used to think we all had only one calling in life. I think because I had heard the term "calling" linked up with "ministry" so often, that it's like a calling only referred to people who had been "Called" by God to be in the ministry or missionaries. It wasn't until I got older that not only do I think every person is called to do something, I think every person is called to do many things throughout the course of their life time.
 
What does "calling" mean, anyway? I think the term "call" began to describe protestants who were being led my Christ in God's work. I don't think this is limited to work for pay, as in being a pastor, but also working or volunteering in any capacity, as God has led one to do. In our churches, we have the biggest opportunity to hear and obey God's calling. Most of our churches have several ministries that a person could participate in, from being in the choir (music ministry), working with kids, (children's ministry), working with teens (youth ministry), working with senior adults (seniors ministry) or any number of other ministries you feel your church or community is in need of.
 
I have always felt called to be a part of a choir. I joined a choir for the first time in a long time when we went to Prestonwood Baptist and I was a part of the choir ministry at our present church for a little while, until I was asked to be a part of our middle schooler ministry on Wednesday nights. I was also asked to help with our children's ministry on Sundays, by teaching Sunday school. It's hard to know, sometimes, in church what God is calling you to do and what you are simply asked to do because they depend on you and know you will say yes. Sometimes, I feel torn between the two things myself. But I know when it's time for me to move, God will let me know. Lately, I've been feeling very convicted to work at the pregnancy center, so I am not sure how that is going to fit in with the volunteering I already do, so we will see.
 
It's hard to determine a calling sometimes. And it's even harder, sometimes, to follow the calling that God has set before you. The calling that God asks you to follow isn't always the thing you want to do, but sometimes the thing that God needs us to do, either for our own lives or for another plan we might not see. I've learned to do my best to follow His call for my life, even if it doesn't always seem convenient and easy. It's not always an easy task, but it sure is fulfilling.
 
What is your calling?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.