Skip to main content

Your Calling

Today is Tuesday, which means it's once again time for "Inspire Us Tuesdays!" Today's topic is this: Your Calling: What do you believe is your true calling in your church? Is there a ministry you would like to become a part of but haven't? Why or why not?
 
When I was younger, I used to think we all had only one calling in life. I think because I had heard the term "calling" linked up with "ministry" so often, that it's like a calling only referred to people who had been "Called" by God to be in the ministry or missionaries. It wasn't until I got older that not only do I think every person is called to do something, I think every person is called to do many things throughout the course of their life time.
 
What does "calling" mean, anyway? I think the term "call" began to describe protestants who were being led my Christ in God's work. I don't think this is limited to work for pay, as in being a pastor, but also working or volunteering in any capacity, as God has led one to do. In our churches, we have the biggest opportunity to hear and obey God's calling. Most of our churches have several ministries that a person could participate in, from being in the choir (music ministry), working with kids, (children's ministry), working with teens (youth ministry), working with senior adults (seniors ministry) or any number of other ministries you feel your church or community is in need of.
 
I have always felt called to be a part of a choir. I joined a choir for the first time in a long time when we went to Prestonwood Baptist and I was a part of the choir ministry at our present church for a little while, until I was asked to be a part of our middle schooler ministry on Wednesday nights. I was also asked to help with our children's ministry on Sundays, by teaching Sunday school. It's hard to know, sometimes, in church what God is calling you to do and what you are simply asked to do because they depend on you and know you will say yes. Sometimes, I feel torn between the two things myself. But I know when it's time for me to move, God will let me know. Lately, I've been feeling very convicted to work at the pregnancy center, so I am not sure how that is going to fit in with the volunteering I already do, so we will see.
 
It's hard to determine a calling sometimes. And it's even harder, sometimes, to follow the calling that God has set before you. The calling that God asks you to follow isn't always the thing you want to do, but sometimes the thing that God needs us to do, either for our own lives or for another plan we might not see. I've learned to do my best to follow His call for my life, even if it doesn't always seem convenient and easy. It's not always an easy task, but it sure is fulfilling.
 
What is your calling?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That "Thing" in That Basket Isn't a Baby, You Know That, Right?

I have had the most horrible case of writer's block lately! With that said, I saw this article on Babycenter and I just had to write something about it.   So, we've heard of the trend of eating the placenta after birth . We've heard of the trend of putting them in pill form to get the nutrients . But this? This to me, is just the craziest of them all.   As a group of beings on this planet, I've never seen any other mammal who evolves to get to a certain place, then de-evolves on purpose, to be more "natural." I am sure I am seriously about to put my foot in my mouth, I am sure there are (some) people out there that I might offend with my "closed-mindedness" on this topic. But this is just, well, ridiculous to me.   Basically, after the placenta comes out, instead of cutting the cord and detaching it from the baby, you leave the placenta on, they salt it to help with the decomp process, add rosemary (I am guessing for the smell?), then p...

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst...

Why I am Pro Universal Healthcare and Changes to Our Healthcare System

Due to my recent proactivity with my credit and paying off debt, I decided to give the hospital a call where I was admitted about a month ago and ask about my bill. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it in the mail and I wanted to get an idea of what I'd be paying for my stay. I get on the phone with the billing department and the woman is just as nice as can be, really. She was surprised I'd even called her, considering I didn't even have a bill yet. She told me she'd sent the bill over to my insurance to be approved and paid but they hadn't heard back yet. "Just out of curiosity," I asked, knowing I would be responsible for 20% of the final bill, "how much was it?" What I heard next shocked me.   "$61,000" she said.   I said, "$61,000? I was only in the hospital for a night and only on anti-biotics, you can't be serious! My daughter cost me less than a third of that to give birth to and I was in the hospital two nights!...