Skip to main content

My Weekend with the Kids

Ok, honestly, connecting with my step-kids hasn't always been easy. I try to find ways for us to spend time together that are enjoyable for both of us, but it's not always simple to do.
 
So, I was surprised when Jordan suggested last Thursday that we make dinner out of his Usbourne travel book that his Aunt Faith gave him for Christmas. He said we could go shopping and cook everything from scratch! He came over Friday and made me a shopping list before I even came home from work, so I knew he was serious!
 

Ok, so, this dinner was pretty costly and I had to go grocery shopping again to replace some items we needed for the week, AND it totally ruined my diet that day, but he was so excited about doing this with me, that those were all wonderful sacrifices to see him have fun.
 
He made the cupcakes 100% by himself, with me only helping when it involved the oven.
 
 
He even wore this apron, that was made specially for him by a friend of our family when Jason and I got married!

 
I think he like baking especially cause it really is alot like science!


 
We made a greek salad (which was alot like bruschetta)...

 
And open faced sandwiches, which were basically just sandwiches with only one piece of bread.

 
Everyone got theirs exactly how they wanted it. 
 

 
To make the evening truly special, we decided to dine by candlelight.
 
 
Such a nice day!

 
 I decided the next day to spend some time with Sophia. What better way to relate to my step-daughter that loves to dress up than tea parties??
 
I offered us having a tea party and she RAN with the idea...
 
 
so we went to my old make-up kit that is now designated just for Sophia, and I am sure, Avery, when they want to be made up.

 
And Sophia loved it. At one point, she looked at me and said, "Do I look scary? I kind of think I look scary."

 
I decided to donate one of my old dresses to the "Sophia's Dress Up Fund" and let her borrow a pair of my heels...
 
 
And my wedding china even got some use today! What you see here are Swiss Rolls (Little Debbie, of course), butter cookies covered in chocolate, and Andes mints, her favorite. Like I said, my diet suffered this weekend. Oh, and sweet tea.

 
She had some great pretend conversation...

 
and we enjoyed being in Paris, meeting together over some wonderful pastries and tea.

 
It was pretty fun. My mimi and me used to have tea when I was little. I was glad I can carry on the tradition.

 
This weekend was great fun. I am so glad I got to spend time with the kids, doing exactly what they wanted to do!

Comments

Kaydi said…
Looks like so much fun! You're a great step momma!
dpetty17 said…
That is so sweet Jenna! I know they each had a great time!

Popular posts from this blog

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.