Skip to main content

The Hunger Games Review **Spoiler Alert**

I don't know how many people have read the book or not, so when I mean "spoilers" I don't want anyone who hasn't read the book to read this. If you've read the book, you will understand.

I went to see The Hunger Games last night. We went two hours early to get a good seat. The theater was full of noisy, obnoxious teenagers. When the movie came on, they were quiet as church mice!

Coming out of this movie, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. The reason I loved this book so much is because it was very clearly a story of political inequality, political suppression, brain washing and propaganda, the difference between classes, and lastly, the story of a girl caught up in it all. I thought the way they discussed the poverty and lack of food in her district was well done in the book, it was very thorough and showed a very clear picture of what life was like for these people in these districts. When they got to the Capital, it was decadance, riches, and more food than they could ever imagine eating. This was not really shown very well in the movie. Yes, it showed District 12 and yes, you could tell that they were poor. But almost starving to death is the reason Katniss became such an inept hunter in the first place. I thought they could have played more up on this fact because it is an essential story line to understanding what this society and culture was truly about. They also never mentioned that whoever won the Hunger Games would have food for their district the following year, which I thought was a mistake to omit. This was another level of control the Capital had and an important one, at that. District 12 hadn't had a winner in a long time at this point, so saying that would have been a good thing to include.

Another thing that bothered me is they didn't make Haymitch a drunkard, not really. He is a very important character in next two books and him being drunk most of the time is very important to the story, because he can't deal with the unfairness and sickness of it all and what he did to win, but it doesn't really portray him that way in the movie. I do like this character, he is very likeable and Woody Harrelson does a great job. But, it was a story line I thought could have been more exaggerated, as it was in the book. The other characters were really good and I liked them very much. Cinna, played by Lenny Kravitz, is clearly a Katniss fan in this movie. In the movie, it no where near went into describing his role in her future and the revolution to follow, nor did it describe their relationship in detail. Effie, however, was portrayed very well and I thought it was pretty true to her character in the book.

I think they really wrote the movie to go as fast as they could through the beginning half of the book to get to the arena scenes, which I understand. It was a 2 1/2 hour movie as it was. The arena scene was great, in fact, I leaned over to my sister several times and said, "That's exactly how I pictured it in my head!" And the way they show the "control center" over the arena was different than the book, but I see why they did that. It showed how they could make things appear out of nothing, the sky changing, stuff like that. It reminded me a little of The Truman Show. But they did leave out alot of the violent scenes, and a very important scene at the end was changed and I thought, for the worse. The mutant "dogs" who came in at the end of the book were actually their fallen tributes that had been morbidly mutated and Katniss and Peeta saw it in their eyes, which was incredibly haunting and very important piece to the story that showed just how sadistic the Capital could be to make their control known. In the movie, they were just, dogs. Mean dogs, yes, but just dogs.

The only other thing that truly bothered me was the camera work. I am not a fan of the "shaky camera for dramatic effect" and there is alot of that in the movie. I had to look away a time or two because it made me dizzy. So, just be warned, if you aren't a fan of that either.

All in all, I can tell you that the movie was not intended for people who haven't read the book. Would you get the story? To a certain extent, yes. You understand the very simple story of the politics and disgusting nature of it all. But you will never truly understand why this book was such an impactful piece of literature unless you read the book first. So, keeping that in mind, it was a good movie. Jennifer Lawrence is a great Katniss and her performance was spot-on to the Katniss I imagined in my head. The people who lived in the Capital looked like I thought they would, too, with their colorful, over the top clothes and hair. But all in all, if you go in expecting it to be more than an entertaining movie, you would be disappointed too. It might not bother you that they left things out. But for me, I really enjoyed what this book had to say about government and control, so for me, the reason I truly loved the book was missing from the movie.

Comments

Kristi said…
I was really sad about the mockingjay pin! They should hav kept that part!

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.