Skip to main content

WordFUL Wednesday

I started spray painting Jordan's furniture last night. Not fun. But, part 1 of the desk is done. Tonight, I am moving on the nightstand. This is going to take me longer than I thought.


I have not been doing great on my exercises and I have figured out why. Avery is waking me up about 4-5 times a night these days. I really spend my whole day very tired and it doesn't help wi

th I exercise because it's as though my body feels like it's just not having any rest. I really don't know why she's doing this, all of the sudden. I have heard around 5 months, they start to wake up to play because they've learned how to babble and play with their feet. I am waiting for her to turn over on her belly because I've heard from a mom that went through the same thing that once her son learned how to do this, he started sleeping much better.

I have had a hard week this week. I know I don't know many of you, so here is a little about me. For as long as I can remember, I've had a skin condition known as psoriasis. Mine is located on the base of my scalp. This is a hereditary condition, so it runs in my family. I have been fortunate enough for mine to be only located on my scalp, but it can show up anywhere on your body and can range from light to severe.


Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease in which the skin on a person's body sheds more quickly than it should. Normal skin sheds every 28 - 30 days, mine sheds about every 3 - 4 days in the affected area. The best way I can think to describe it is to a scab. Do you know how when you have a cut, your skin repairs itself and forms new skin until eventually the cut is gone and new skin is there? This is psoriasis. Do you also know how itchy it is when a scab is healing? This is also psoriasis. My head itches 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It flakes constantly. I used to be very embarassed about this, so I would keep my hair very long. Now, it just is what it is. The scratching sound can get very annoying to other people, though. And for me, hormones, stress and weather can trigger more intense outbreaks, so being pregnant and after I had Avery, my head has gotten much worse. While shampoos and treatments will help and some can clear it up for a time, it will never go away. It is not curable. And since this disease is not life threatening, it gets very little funding from the government to research. Psoriasis looks like scales and lesions on a person's body, and can range from red blotching to white spots. Every person who is affected looks different. I am not even going to link in pictures, because honestly, they aren't pretty.


I had noticed that Avery was starting to get some red spots on her chest and tummy when I gave her a bath. I thought perhaps it was an allergic reaction to something, but nothing has changed and the "rash" has been there for a while. I was holding her the other day and looked down, and I saw scales on her legs, arms, elbows, tummy back and chest. It's hard for anyone else to notice them, but I could see them. I wanted to cry. I still want to cry. They call psoriasis the heartbreaking disease because the spots are ugly and the itching is maddening. It's a hard disease to live with. And to think that Avery is going to have to go through that breaks my heart. I did some research and it seems as though infantile psoriasis is very rare, so before I get too ahead of myself, I am going to wait until her 6 month check up in 3 weeks to see what the doctor says.


Sunlight does seem to help with psoriasis for some reason, as does fish oil, salycitic acid, and menthol shampoo. When I was a kid and I was out in the sun alot (and in the chlorine pool) my head was much better. I actually found a dermotologist a year and a half ago who prescribed this foam that made it go away, almost 100%. But since I got new insurance, it doesn't cover dermotology. Once Jason's kicks in in July, I will be going back. It was magical. I know that there are alot of things out there that help, so I am hoping that the doctor tells me it's something else or that if she does have it, it is not severe. She doesn't seem bothered by it, but I just don't know. We will see what the doctor says.


Anyway, enough depression. I will leave you with an Avery picture :-)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.