Skip to main content

What To Do For Dinner? Modified Chicken Pot Pies

During lunch at work, I will go and watch the Food Network. Usually, it's either Paula Dean or Barefoot Contessa. Yesterday, I caught them both. They were both doing pockets, Paula was doing apple strudel pockets and Ina was doing some greek pocket. On my way home I thought....hmmm....I can modify that with what I have, easy.



I started with boiling one chicken breast. It was only Jason and I, so one was just fine. You can bake it if you want, but I find that when I use chicken inside something as a filling, boiling it makes it more tender and it's just easier to cut or shred. This recipe really makes more than two people need, but my husband will eat it anyway, even if it is too big. :-)


I had all-purpose baking mix, canned peas, fresh broccoli and carrots, cream of celery, and sliced colby jack.


I wanted the veggies to be very soft, so I cut the broccoli and carrots into small pieces and steamed them in the same pot.


Once the chicken was done, I just cut into small, bite size pieces.


I didn't need to cook the canned peas as they were already soft, so I poured those from the can, the cream of celery, the cooked broccoli and carrots and the chicken in a bowl and stirred.


I prepared the baking mix, using the biscuit instructions (most all baking mixes have the recipe for biscuits dough on the box). I rolled it out flat, cut it in half, and took each piece and rolled it out very flat again. I poured half of the filling in one half of the dough, then did the same for the rest. I took half a slice of cheese for each and put them on top of each filling mixture. I rolled the dough over to create a pocket and used a fork to secure all edges. I brushed it with butter on a greased baking sheet. I cooked the pie by the specifications on the box - since everything was already cooked on the inside, all I needed was the dough to bake and the cheese inside to melt, so I baked it at 450 for 8 minutes.


Apparently, the finished product picture has gone MIA, but they were really good. I didn't even use one bit of salt, pepper, or seasoning and they still had alot of flavor, but you can adjust the seasonings to fit your taste.








This whole meal took me about 40 minutes, and cost:


One breast of chicken: $1
Can of Peas: $.50
Cream of Celery: $50
All-Purpose Baking Mix: $1
Package of Cheese: $2 for 10 slices, $.20 each
Fresh Carrots: $1.99 for the pack, one carrot probably costs about $.20
Broccoli: $1.50 for 3 bunches, so about $.30 for the amount I used


Total: $3.70!! Not too shabby!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.