Skip to main content

How do you get good at decorating?

I definitely think that there are talents that only some of us are really good at. I have my talents.

Decorating was/is not one of them.



 
I pretty much never looked at decor magazines or had good ideas about how to decorate my home. I thought that I just didn't have any talents in the decorating arena, therefore my home was as good as it could be. I thought that I would never be able to have the money to make my house cute, as all of the stuff I saw that I liked was too expensive. There was stuff I bought that I didn't really like, but it was semi-good looking so I got it. Alot of stuff was just space fillers. And I ended up with alot of stuff that didn't match, that was ugly, or that I didn't have anything to do with. I guess I just had given up on really trying to make my house look good.

Enter, BLOGS.

I have received SOOOOO many ideas about what to do with my home from the blogs I read. When the blogs I follow have link-ups, I just blog hop from one to another, seeing things and ideas I would have never thought about before. (Did you know they made mirror spray paint??)

So, what I've decided is that no one, not even designers, just have ideas off the top of their heads without getting inspiration somewhere. And that's why I love reading other people's blogs.

I used to read how-tos about redoing furniture, but nothing I found was anything like what I read on blogs. I used to think painting furntire involved long, pain staking step. I thought since I had an apartment, I couldn't redo furniture, that I needed all of these tools, all of this space, that I didn't have. It turns out, I was 100% wrong!!

My home, while a long way from being finished, is starting to look like a space I actually like. I love seeing something in my house that I made, I created, I redid. It makes me feel like I have accomplished something, that I've added value. And while it might not be perfect, it's getting there. It will probably never be perfect and it will probably never be finished. But that's ok!!!

So, what have I learned from blogging when it comes to decorating?

1) It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful. (The Nester)

2) Shortcuts are OK with decorating. (And what people don't see doesn't hurt them. Example: The back of something is not painted perfectly)

3) You CAN redo furniture with little to no cost with the right materials! (And garage sales/Craigslist/Goodwill has good stuff if you know how to fix it up!)

4) It's OK to look at the Pottery Barn catalog and then make a knock off yourself!

5) Spray paint is awesome.

6) If you don't like something, paint it, redo it, fix it however you'd like. And if you still don't like it, do it again. And if you don't like it in a year, you can make it look different again. Nothing is permanent!


I am just so excited about all of the ideas I have come up with after seeing other people's projects and homes. It's so inspiring!

Here are some things I would love to try!!!



diy mossy letter



What are you inspired to do today in your home?



Comments

Kimie said…
So cute! I like the moss-covered letter over the mirror. I am inspired to... make more art for Lucy's room and make lasagna for dinner. And maybe post a blog about the bins I got from Ikea.
*Katy* said…
I LOVE finding stuff from other blogs to try! That's actually how I found out about the hairbows to start raising money for our church nursery :) Last year at Christmas there was a HUGE blog hop that I just stumbled upon that had HUNDREDS of easy Christmas craft ideas. I WISH I had bookmarked it-but I forgot :( BUT, I did print off some of the tutorials and made some CUTE Christmas presents. I also made a lot of stuff really cheaply for our Church Bazaar. (I know this is long, sorry!) I think my favorite thing to make were the coasters. As a matter of fact, I should probably put a post up with directions and steps because they were super easy and we sold over 100! Thanks for the ideas :) (OH! and if you get any, you should post them for all of us other non-inspired people!)

Popular posts from this blog

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.