Skip to main content

The Benefits of Yoga

I started Yoga 2 weeks ago Monday after I realized how incredibly inflexible I was. I would get up in the mornings and found this Power Yoga show on my Ion channel from 6:00 - 6:30 and it looked like something I would really enjoy. I have tried yoga classes in the past at gyms and have really hated it. For a beginner that is as inflexible as I am, I just think an hour is way too long. I love this show for 2 reasons: 1) it is only 30 minutes long, which is about as much as my body can tolerate, and it's on 6 times per week and I do it almost every day and 2) The theme of the class changes every day. We started off my first class doing forward folds and it's incredibly embarassing how little I was able to do. Just folding foward sounds so easy, but I can't even touch my toes from a seated or standing position. We have also done strength and stamina, binds (different positions while holding your hands together behind your back) hips, abs, and all types of other exercises. I didn't really think any of this was doing anything for me, but every day I am a little sore and I lost 2 pounds last week, which leads me to believe I am getting more out of it than I think. It is has also changed my posture, big time!

After I had Avery, my hips certainly changed. They became SO tight, it hurt me to sit indian style and I never felt that way before. I didn't realize how much pregnancy made me inactive and stiff over the period of 9 months. I would sit on the bed with Avery to change her diaper when she was a newborn and my legs would be sore, just from sitting on the bed! My back hurts alot now because of bending over and picking her up and I realized I had absolutely no core strength left from the pregnancy. If I didn't do something about it, I was going to stop exercising altogether because it hurt me too much. Plus, just going to the gym and running or walking was doing only so much - this has added so much to my life and is making me feel better, each and every day. I get really upset if I miss a day, which has only happened twice. I get up each morning around 5:30, take a shower and will either get Avery out of her bed because she is awake or pray she sleeps through my class. I will take a shower before the class starts and put my hair up, wet. If Avery is up, I will feed her before. Avery either plays on her playmat or in her bouncy while I do my yoga and she usually always lets me without needing too much attention. Then I dry my hair, get us both dressed, get us both fed, and I am out the door by about 7:20. I greatly look forward to my classes every morning because it's always a surprise what we will be doing that day. Some classes are very relaxing and others are not, but no matter what, I enjoy it a great deal.

I think the trick when you become a mom and wife and time gets very limited, you HAVE to spend your time doing things you enjoy, especially when it comes to working out. If you don't enjoy it, you will not do it and there is no point in spending 30 minutes to an hour of your already unavailable time doing something you hate. BUT it's important to do something that challenges your body every day and that is just for you! My favorite part of the WHOLE class is the very end. Every time we finish a class, we have to lie on our backs with our eyes closed, and totally relax. The pose is called savasana and we get to stay here for about a minute - it's the BEST. Just me and relaxing!

If you are interested in finding out more about this program and whether or not you have this programming in your area, visit the Ion Channel website and click on Power Yoga. If you would like to know more about Adrienne Reed, the instructor, click here.

Have a great day everyone! Namaste. (Which means, thank you)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.