Skip to main content

Lots to say, but read!! Need opinions!

Last night was our first P90X experience. It was awesome! By the time I got home from choir and the grocery store, it was 9:30 and we live on the second floor of an apartment, so I was a little concerned with how much noise we'd be making on the floor. At first, you could modify the moves without having to jump, but after 30 minutes, you just had to jump and run around alot so we had to quit. Jason was dying, he said. I wasn't so much, mainly because I was doing the modified movements just so I could get through the whole thing. He wants to do the movements the way they do it on the tape, I really just want my heart rate to stay up the whole time so I can start losing my weight. Even the modified movements were tough, I had to take alot of 5 second breaks! After the 30 minutes, we put in Ab Ripper. And ripped us, it did! I have no stomach strength anymore, but even if I did, these are HARD moves. It was 16 minutes of intense stomach exercises, but I could only do 13 minutes before I had to stop. And even the exercises I did too were not anything close to what they were doing on the video! 25 reps of each....what???? But the important part is that I really enjoyed it and I really liked that Jason and I could do it together. But you just KNOW that Jason, with his lean athletic physique will do this for like, 3 days and end up looking like the guys on the video and I will suffer through it for about a month before seeing any results. Nah, not that long. But I am excited!!! I do have a before picture, but I am not posting it until I have some sort of after. Let's not just put a picture of a flabby post-pregnant physique in a bathing suit up for no reason, people.

The second thing that is going on in our house is that Avery is eating cereal. Not just letting it run down her chin (although, alot still is) but she is actually eating some of it. Crazy!!! She is getting so old.

Ok, for all you moms out there, you can relate with this. I told myself I would breastfeed before she was born. When she was born, I knew I might have some trouble, because of all I had heard about how sometimes it is a challenge, but I didn't know it would be as challenging as it was in the beginning. When she was about a week old, it was hit or miss with her. Sometimes she would latch and sometimes she wouldn't, so I was doing alot of pumping and bottle feeding so she could eat. I was tired and frustrated and I remember one Saturday, I told Jason I was going to sit in our room and get her to do this no matter what! Yeah, didn't really go all that well. I was really ready to just give up and be done with the whole thing, just pump from now on (we just couldn't afford formula, so it had to be BF or pump). I was in the shower, trying to relax and I said, "Ok, I will try it one more time." Of course, she latched that time and has done good ever since. So, all of you preggers out there or new moms, it can be done. Babies have to learn and I didn't realize that! I remember telling my mother-in-law that if this was so natural, why was it so hard? Animals know how to do it, why is it so hard for us? She said, and I will never forget this, "They have problems too, but animals will just let their young die if they don't eat. We won't let that happen!" It made sense to me and made me feel better that day that I was just ready to give up.

Anyway, I told myself I was going to BF for 6 months, longer if I could. When I started working, I would pump during the day and send Avery with bottles to Pam's. After a while, it got very hard because if I didn't pump enough for the next day, I wasn't sending her with enough to eat and it was starting to really stress me out. Well, Pam pays for formula, it's included in the price, so I said, why am I making this so hard? I can still BF at home but I will just let her eat formula during the day. But, it took me a few weeks to be ok with this. For some reason, it felt like I was being selfish for giving it up and making her eat "that stuff" so I had some feelings of guilt. But once I got ok about it, it actually works out really well. And now, I can feed her bottles if I need to at home or when my supply is low.

I never thought I would be one of those mothers who didn't want to let BF go, but I totally am. I really enjoy the feeling of knowing that she needs me for that, still. It really is a bonding experience. BUT I am growing tired of my you-know-whats being huge and none of my shirts fitting. It is so selfish of me, but it's starting to get on my nerves, especially now that I am working out. I have to wear about 2 sports bras and a tank with a built-in just to keep those girls tame. I am not ready to give it up, though. Not quite yet. I think at about 6 months, when she starts to eat more solids, I will just stick with formula.

Ah. Alot to write, but thanks for listening. I am curious of your BF stories and how old your kiddos were when you gave it up, and was it hard for you in the beginning? I leave you with a picture of Avery. Such. A. Cutie.



Comments

Jennifer said…
Jenna- I stopped BF Taylin at 3 months and I regreted it. I was angry at myself for quiting because I was taught that you never quit. I had no other choice though. My milk supply was almost was different for each breast. My right would pump 4 oz and then was it for about 5 hours. The left on the other hand would pump for a entire 8 oz bottle if I let it every hour. I promised myself with this baby, I am going to go 6 months. I don't want to quit this time because it's not fair for the baby. With that being said- formula is a great source of nutrients for babies.

Don't feel bad and if you are tired then it's okay to stop. You will still have that bond with her because you are her mother and that can never be taken away from either of you!
Anonymous said…
Jenna--you are normal for feeling this. I talk to A LOT of women through my ministry with the church and I promise that this situation is hard for every mom. Some moms don't want to do it at all, and some moms want to do it until their kid is 4. Its such a wide extreme on both ends.

I felt guilty too, and I was forced to stop because of my medication for vertigo. (with both girls) So I think its normal to feel guilty, even though we shouldnt.

It is much harder when you work outside the home, I cant imagine. I would give yourself A LOT of credit for doing it this long and be thankful you could. So many moms cant. Please dont beat yourself up about it...you have done very well with being a mom and I want you to feel good about it!!!!!
Thanks for sharing...I hope you have peace inside because you should!!!! Love ya girl, we need to get together sometime!
Thank you girls, I appreciate all of your great comments. Jennifer, I don't think I am ready to give it up and I think if I did, I would feel bad, too. This is going to be my only one, and I know it, so it's very hard for me to let it go. Tanna, thank you for the encouraging words! When it's time, it's time, so I know I shouldn't beat myself up about it. I am already seeing signs that she is ready to be done with it, so I think this is mainly my concern, not hers. Crazy how BF makes you feel, isn't it?
teacherjanet said…
I really think that when you become pregnant they should hand out brochures on breastfeeding with the truth that it more than likely will NOT be easy! I was prepared for the worst with my first and so it ended up not being as bad because I was expecting bleeding and cracked nipples! HA!

It is hard to be a working mom and breastfeed especially if you are having a hard time keeping up with your supply. I don't think you should beat yourself up about it. MANY women do not even make it past the first week much less many months so give yourself a pat on the back.

I would just continue to nurse as long as you and her are both happy with it. You and her will both know when you want it to end for good. :)

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.