Skip to main content

Dolls and Ink. Ugh.

I try to make my blog as much about the real stuff in life that happens as much as it is about the great stuff. Well, let me just tell you about my day.

I think I mentioned how I feel about American Girl dolls. If I didn't go into detail, let me right now. I think they are incredibly overpriced and I hate trends like this that go around and make kids feel bad if they don't have one. Don't even get me started on the accessories - $25 for an outfit. I don't even spend that much on most of SOPHIA'S clothes!! It's stuff like this that make me angry that this country is in this finance crisis - people are losing their homes and are unemployed, but American Girl dolls that are the price of most cell phone bills, let's make sure they stick around. But, I digress.

Sophia hardly ever asks for stuff, so when we asked what she wanted for her birthday and said an American Girl doll, we thought about it and decided to get her one. She had just gotten one from her mom for Christmas (which makes two at her moms, a baby and a doll) so she wanted one for our house. We really don't buy the kids hardly anything. We just don't have the money to be frivolous or buy them each and every thing they as for (nor would we anyway, we just don't think that's OK), but for birthdays and Christmas, we try to get them one thing they ask for and really want (within reason, that is). Sophia had asked for this for weeks and was happy when she got it.

Today, at church, they had an American Girl doll party where the church provided little salons and tea for lunch. We didn't know about this before today and we didn't bring her doll, so on the way home, we started hearing this..."I want a girl doll, not just the baby." (They make babies for kids Sophie's age and dolls with hair for kids over 8). We told her, no, she had the baby, and that was fine. Then the pouting started and we heard, "I have both at my mom's house." Sigh. Well, this is really not her normal attitude. She is just not into material things that much, so I was really disappointed with her attitude. I turned around and said, "If you don't like the doll we gave you, we would be more than happy to take it back. If I hear another word, I will. Be thankful for what you have." We didn't hear about it again.

My mom and dad came over this afternoon, so I told Soph to show Gigi her new doll. She went in her room and after about 5 minutes I heard, "I don't want to." I went into her room and I found her on her bed. I said, "What's wrong, why don't you want to show us your doll?" She had this look on her face and I knew something was up. She didn't answer me. I said, "Soph, what is under the cover, is it your doll?" She had this look on her face of terror. She nodded yes. I said, "Did you do something to your doll?" She said yes, and I pulled back the blanket to find blue pen all over her face. She had tears welling up in her eyes. You could tell she was really upset and knew she did something wrong. I said, "why did you do this?" She said, sobbing, "I don't know." I said, "Go show your dad." That's when the real crying started. "No! No! I don't want to! I will get in trouble!" I told her she needed to be honest with him about what she did. He saw it and was really upset.

We weren't punishing upset or yelling upset. Honestly, it's not that she wrote on her doll. Its the fact that we really sacrificed to get that doll for her. We didn't get each other anniversary presents so the kids could have presents for their birthdays and we could take them to the places they wanted to go eat. And we know that since she wrote on it, she's not going to want to play with it anymore. It's like watching your hard earned money go straight down the toilet. It makes me not want to get them stuff anymore. Jordan keeps up with his stuff ok, I guess, but he loses stuff a lot too. And then, when he does get stuff, he just keeps asking for more.

I don't want the kids to grow up never getting any toys at all, but I don't know how to raise kids that are not materialistic, especially when they get a lot of stuff at their mom's house. That's very hard. We try to do the best we can with what we have, but like I said, it's hard.

Well, hopefully, we can get the pen out. Sigh.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Comments

Jennifer said…
Jenna- Aubrianna has colored on her doll's face, try nail polish remover with a cotton ball.
bearie1 said…
Usually ink will come out with benzoil peroxide. Acne cream. Put it on the doll, put the doll in the sun and be patient. It should come out. Hope it works for you. Elaine
Thank you so much for your feedback! I can't wait to try these ideas out.

Popular posts from this blog

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.