Skip to main content

Babbling and Sleeping

My daughter is going through a really cool phase right now. She talks. All. The. Time. Just babbles away, usually chomping on her fist or thumb, but is just talking and talking. My favorite time of day is always when I get to pick her up from Pam's house, but now, it's even cooler. I turn my radio off and just listen to her on the way home. She used to fuss back in her chair, but now, she is quite content because she is starting to learn to keep herself occupied. I love listening to the noises she makes! I just can't imagine why she talks so much (um, her talkitive mother perhaps?? Just sayin'). She is starting to laugh too, although, only her dad can usually get her to do it, so far. This is what I see on my drive home....isn't it funny how you start to learn to parent BACKWARDS?? (Don't worry, I was parked at home when I took this picture!)




The UNfun part of this is that now, she will wake herself up in the middle of the night to talk and play. She is not fussy, not hungry. She just gets up (waking me up in the process) and starts to chew on her hands and listen to the sound of her own voice. After last night, I am just going to turn the monitor down and let her put herself back to sleep, because MAN am I tired today! My head hurts and I am hungry when I am this tired. I don't always get as much sleep as I should (I usally get about 5-7 a night) but last night, it was more like 3. Granted, I stayed up late to watch "Life As We Know It" (I didn't finish it YET but I thought it was pretty good so far!)

Of course, I have done research before on what lack of sleep will do to you...but I wanted to share what I learned Googling today!

Did you know that the reason we sleep is not entirely for our bodies to rest, it's for our brains? Our brains need sleep for our neurons to function correctly. When they do not function correctly, it can cause slurs of speech, hallucinations, delayed response to stimuli (almost like being intoxicated!) If you want to know more technically what happens with lack of sleep, read this
article.

Did you know that dreams are necessary for our health? Everyone dreams, regardless if you can remember them or not. Dreams serve many purposes, although it's hard to prove exactly why we need to dream or what dreams exactly do. There are many who think that dreaming allows us to solve problems from the day, hence the phrase "sleep on it." Have you ever gone to bed being upset about something and wake up just feeling better but you don't know why? It's because your mind worked it out while in the dream state. Others believe dreaming allows our minds to work out fantasies that we could never work out in the waking world. In the movie "Inception" Leo's character said that in the waking world, humans only use 10% of our brains but when we sleep, we use the other 90%. I completely believe this. Dreams know no boundaries or restrictions and we are able to do things in dreams that we could never do in real life. If you would like to read more about dreaming, click here.

Lack of sleep can actually cause weight gain! Sleeping gives you energy. When you do not get enough stored energy, your body turns to food, usually carbs, to continue functioning. Nowadays, people reach for the soda or energy drink, which are loaded in sugar! If you would like to know more about lack of sleep and how it can affect your weight, read here.

Kids especially need sleep, more sleep than most people realize. Often, we assume that the older children get, the less sleep they need, however, even older children may still need 10-12 hours of sleep a night to function well throughout the day. If you'd like to know more about sleeping and children, click here.

I learned some really great news that I can't quite share yet. I am bursting at the seams!!! Have a great day everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.