Skip to main content

Are You In Your Dream Job?

I've had a chance in the last couple of months to allow my mind to wander about what I want to do with my life, career-wise. It's always been a question of mine - what was I born to do? What is my true passion? I've been good at alot of things but haven't truly loved them. How do you even figure out what your dream job is?
 
The truth of it is that when I dream and fantasize about what I would like for my life to look like, I really have always known what I love to do. Writing. I just have never known what type of writing I'd like to do as a career. But when I think about watching movies or TV shows, and what I see them do that makes me say, "I wish my life was like that..." it always goes back to people who write or who are in the literary field. Intellectuals. I think about Carrie Bradshaw, who gets to write a column for a living. I would even love to be a college professor (maybe I just love the idea of that more than I would actually love it.) I just love to ponder of subjects and debate topics with others. I love to give my opinion and tell stories. I've never liked writing fiction (I don't have the imagination for it) but I've always wanted to write a book. I've always loved to research and if I had time, I think I might like to study up on a topic and write a book about it someday.
 
I think I used to have this idea that most people don't do what they truly love for a living and that the idea of getting to do what I loved and get paid for it was a long-shot, so I just never thought of it being a possibility for my life. But as I look around, just in my own circle and family, I see many of my friends and family who are doing what they are passionate about for a living. Hair stylists, teachers, even my husband is getting closer and closer to his dream job. So, why is it so far-fetched that I can't do the same?
 
I feel like I am 33 and not getting any younger. I feel like our lives are changing and I am getting closer to having a career I truly can love and be passionate about. It's an exciting prospect, for sure. When I look at Avery, I just hope that I can instill in her that this life can be what you make of it, and that sometimes, you do things because you have to, but your whole life shouldn't be have to. Some of your life should be want to. I am getting there. Jason and I are already starting to see a life opening up for us that we just never thought would happen and it's pretty amazing to finally have choices in our life instead of being stuck until the next thing comes along.
 
What is your dream job? I am curious how many people I know that are actually doing what they love for a living and how many are just hanging in there until an opportunity opens up...

Comments

April, I didn't even realize that, how awesome is that!!!

Popular posts from this blog

That "Thing" in That Basket Isn't a Baby, You Know That, Right?

I have had the most horrible case of writer's block lately! With that said, I saw this article on Babycenter and I just had to write something about it.   So, we've heard of the trend of eating the placenta after birth . We've heard of the trend of putting them in pill form to get the nutrients . But this? This to me, is just the craziest of them all.   As a group of beings on this planet, I've never seen any other mammal who evolves to get to a certain place, then de-evolves on purpose, to be more "natural." I am sure I am seriously about to put my foot in my mouth, I am sure there are (some) people out there that I might offend with my "closed-mindedness" on this topic. But this is just, well, ridiculous to me.   Basically, after the placenta comes out, instead of cutting the cord and detaching it from the baby, you leave the placenta on, they salt it to help with the decomp process, add rosemary (I am guessing for the smell?), then p...

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst...

Why I am Pro Universal Healthcare and Changes to Our Healthcare System

Due to my recent proactivity with my credit and paying off debt, I decided to give the hospital a call where I was admitted about a month ago and ask about my bill. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it in the mail and I wanted to get an idea of what I'd be paying for my stay. I get on the phone with the billing department and the woman is just as nice as can be, really. She was surprised I'd even called her, considering I didn't even have a bill yet. She told me she'd sent the bill over to my insurance to be approved and paid but they hadn't heard back yet. "Just out of curiosity," I asked, knowing I would be responsible for 20% of the final bill, "how much was it?" What I heard next shocked me.   "$61,000" she said.   I said, "$61,000? I was only in the hospital for a night and only on anti-biotics, you can't be serious! My daughter cost me less than a third of that to give birth to and I was in the hospital two nights!...