Skip to main content

What Do Marissa Mayer's Decisions and Life Style Mean For the Rest of Us

I have not been a fan of Marissa Mayer from the beginning. I have no idea what she is doing to Yahoo and I don't care much about her business choices as a CEO. But as a woman, I think she is a traitor and to some, a hypocrite.
 
When she was five months pregnant, she took the job as the CEO of the powerful company. Some would say that is a step in the right direction for women's rights. Others would say, what were you thinking? Then, she decided to take only two weeks off maternity leave, which was completely ridiculous to me. It is also very indicative of where her loyalties and interests lie, and it's not with the working mommy. This week, I read an article that she has decided that all telecommuters working from home at Yahoo will begin working from the office, which has been met with criticism and anger, and she is even been referred to by NetworkWorld.com as "CEO of the year 1955."
 
Mayer was picked for this position carefully and on purpose. No company in their right mind would appoint a 5 month old pregnant woman as their brand new CEO, no matter how much they've accomplished, without an alternative agenda. In my opinion, they have several: 1) "Marissa Mayer is the poster child for what a woman CAN accomplish, if she sacrifices her life and well-being and gets 'better' at balancing her priorities." 2) "If this woman can deal with having a baby and coming back to work two weeks later, than all women can." 3) "We need a woman with a newborn to be the bad guy for our plans for the company, because if it's coming from her mouth, people won't be as angry."
 
And you know what? She is more than willing to play that part because this is a woman who very clearly wants to be the best and will do what it takes to make that happen, even completely ignore the position she could be in to make a difference in women's issues and workplace obstacles. She loves being the woman in charge. Women bosses like her always do. I've worked for several women bosses in my day. And there is only one that comes to mind as one I would actually work for again. If you are reading this, you know who you are. (insert winky face here) I have only had one woman boss who cared more about me and who wanted to help me rather than be horribly mean and ugly to me. While they all taught me alot about being successful at my job as a woman, they simultaneously taught me alot about how not to be a woman anyone liked or wanted to work hard for. I hate to say it, but women bosses like Mayer are the antithesis of what employees want because they care nothing about the employees and care more about the accolades they are receiving from all the men on the board.
 
I already think it's an embarassment, the thing we call "maternity leave" in this country. Six weeks is non-sense in my opinion, when other coutries, like France, greatly value home life and offer much more flexibility, not just with maternity leave but childcare help as a whole. And according to Strocel.com, "France has a high proportion of mothers in the work force compared to other countries." Hmm. Imagine that, we give women and families the flexibility and help necessary in the early part of children's lives and woman actually want to work more and work harder? Not in the US, though. We appoint this yahoo (pardon the pun) to be the example of what a working mother should be.
 
Oh, did I mention that Mayer built a $5 million nursery attached to her office? Now, if that isn't the most hypocritical thing I've ever heard. I am hoping she understands how horribly this comes off to her employees and installs a work-place daycare area so other moms of young children can bring them, too. Or is she the only one that needs to benefits from this because she is the CEO? Oh, and coincidentally enough, I searched but could not find a news article on Yahoo regarding this topic. Imagine that.
 
What do you think of Marissa Mayer? Is she a visionairy for mother's and employee's rights or is she bringing us back to the 50's with her ideas?

Comments

RHD said…
Definitely not a visionary!
Anonymous said…
I couldn't agree more! I'm curious to see about the daycare issue as well.
I agree with both of you! Tattomommie, I just clicked on your blog and immediately like your number one on your list, that you hide junk food from your kids. We could get along well, I do the same thing!

Popular posts from this blog

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.