Skip to main content

The Trick To Making A Really Great Fruit Smoothie

I have a secret. Are you ready? Most people can't handle it.
 
I highly dislike fruit.
 
There. I said it. I am not really sure why I don't like it, but I think it's the consistency. I love apples, and sometimes strawberries. I hate any other kinds. I want to love it! I really do. My husband and kids all love all kinds of fruit. It sits in my fridge, and I see them enjoying cantaloupe, pineapple, and oranges and I just think it looks so good, so refreshing, so healthy! But the second I pop it in my mouth, I get grossed out. I love the flavor, it's the consistency.
 
Fruit is nutritious, though, so I really needed to add it to my diet. A friend at work made fruit smoothies, so decided to give it a try. The secret, she said, was all the fruit needed to be frozen and don't use any ice. No wonder all of my fruit smoothies before had tasted watered down and gritty - the trick to making a really good fruit smoothie is to freeze the fruit and don't add any ice.
 
I buy lots of fruit for my family, especially stuff that's on sale. Right now, there is so much good fruit in season and on sale. But even though my family eats alot of it, it's hard to eat it all before it goes bad. So, I take half of all the fruit I get, especially bananas and berries, the stuff that goes bad before it's all eaten, and I pop it in a sandwich bag and put it in the freezer. I buy a big bag of Cuties, peel half and pop them in the freezer. Buying frozen fruit in bags is usually kind of pricey, so I will get it when it's on sale. At Aldi, they have a mixed fruit bag of tropical fruit that I buy, because it's always $1.99 and it's a good deal.
 

This morning, I used half a banana, about 6 slices of orange, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. And some 2% milk. You can add anything to this, really. I have put in yogurt before, Jason likes peanut butter banana smoothies. I want to add the spinach leaves I've seen people use, but I can't remember to buy it for some reason!
 

I just add milk until it's thin enough to drink through a straw. Since all of the fruit is frozen, this will stay cold for a few hours. I made a really big cup and drink it all morning. It's a great breakfast treat and keeps me full!
 

I also add a tablespoon or so of honey I purchased at our local farmer's market. It's supposed to be local honey, which I've heard helps with allergies, but I am not sure if this is considered local. But it tastes good!
 

And there you have it! A delicious, nutritious start to your day!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.