Skip to main content

Opinion for the Day

I read this article and it just annoys me to death.


So, this 15 year old kid played Call of Duty for 4 days straight, only to stop occasionally for snacks and a shower. He collapsed after being dehydrated on his way to visit his aunt, when he finally stopped playing the video game.

Ok, look. I am not against video games, don't get me wrong. I think there are several out there that are really cool and have their place. But this still falls under the "parental supervision" thing that parents just don't bother to do much of anymore.

We have one gaming system and it's a Wii. We use it mainly to stream Netflix, however, we do have a few games. Our Wii stays in our living room and it does for three reasons. 1) Because we stream Netflix. 2) Because it belongs to the whole family and not just Jordan, who would use it more than anyone. 3) If Jordan had it in his room, he would literally stay in there the whole weekend he came and we wouldn't see him once, not even to eat.

Now, he doesn't get to play Wii a whole lot. I don't like that the living room TV is taken up for hours at a time for one kid to play video games. So, usually, he has to play it for a short period, about an hour maybe, and he has to compromise by allowing his sister to play occasionally as well. Sometimes Jason will play. But we don't play video games for long periods at our house. I see how addictive it is to men and boys, especially. I can see the appeal of playing it hour after hour. I personally think you should have to use your brain to entertain yourself with imagination or to play outside, not sit inside all day and play video games. Now, we do have the TV on alot, not that we watch it all the time. It's something we should turn off alot more often. But Avery watches TV in our living room or our room as well, with us in there the whole time. We watch it WITH her and talk about the shapes and songs and things they say. As far as Sophia goes, she is addicted to playing on the phone constantly. Every time she gets in the car, it's "can I play on your phone?" I purposely don't put games on my phone. Call me old fashioned, but I don't think you need to be entertained the entire five minutes we are on the way to church. Maybe I am just old, but I feel like, "we didn't get entertained with a phone when we were kids, why do you have to be?" Ha ha.

Does it bother anyone else? In your house, what are your "electronics" rules?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That "Thing" in That Basket Isn't a Baby, You Know That, Right?

I have had the most horrible case of writer's block lately! With that said, I saw this article on Babycenter and I just had to write something about it.   So, we've heard of the trend of eating the placenta after birth . We've heard of the trend of putting them in pill form to get the nutrients . But this? This to me, is just the craziest of them all.   As a group of beings on this planet, I've never seen any other mammal who evolves to get to a certain place, then de-evolves on purpose, to be more "natural." I am sure I am seriously about to put my foot in my mouth, I am sure there are (some) people out there that I might offend with my "closed-mindedness" on this topic. But this is just, well, ridiculous to me.   Basically, after the placenta comes out, instead of cutting the cord and detaching it from the baby, you leave the placenta on, they salt it to help with the decomp process, add rosemary (I am guessing for the smell?), then p...

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst...

Why I am Pro Universal Healthcare and Changes to Our Healthcare System

Due to my recent proactivity with my credit and paying off debt, I decided to give the hospital a call where I was admitted about a month ago and ask about my bill. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it in the mail and I wanted to get an idea of what I'd be paying for my stay. I get on the phone with the billing department and the woman is just as nice as can be, really. She was surprised I'd even called her, considering I didn't even have a bill yet. She told me she'd sent the bill over to my insurance to be approved and paid but they hadn't heard back yet. "Just out of curiosity," I asked, knowing I would be responsible for 20% of the final bill, "how much was it?" What I heard next shocked me.   "$61,000" she said.   I said, "$61,000? I was only in the hospital for a night and only on anti-biotics, you can't be serious! My daughter cost me less than a third of that to give birth to and I was in the hospital two nights!...