Skip to main content

Foyer Update

There is a new trend going around that I think is kind of cool. I have been looking and looking and looking for chairs on Craigslist that can fit in my foyer area, but I've been unsuccessful. So, I decided to move this chair in there...


And find a bookcase (which are all over CL). I am still redoing the window seat. But here is what I am thinking...

The chair above was a Pier 1 chair I bought in 2005. I spent $100 on that stupid chair. $100, and I wasn't paying other bills and being financially irresponsible, but that's a whole other post. Anyway, this chair was expensive, but I have kept it now for 7 years and it's in excellent condition. It's actually a really cute chair that has spent its last few years pushed up to a desk. What a waste of a cute chair!

So, I think it's going to be given a new coat of paint and showcased!  (I love it when I find stuff around my house that I can put somewhere else!)

This painting style is called "dipping."


Essentially, the idea is that make it look like you dipped it in paint at the bottom, so you paint the bottom of the legs a different color than the rest of the piece.


Kind of cool, I think!

Then, for the bookcase, there is something I've wanted to try.


You can paint the inside of the bookcase, to give it different depth.

If you really wanted to add some more detail, you could stencil it as well.


Which is what I would really love to do!

I am finishing up a paint job on a mirror, but in the middle of my painting, I ran out of paint! So, I will show you the finished product this weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That "Thing" in That Basket Isn't a Baby, You Know That, Right?

I have had the most horrible case of writer's block lately! With that said, I saw this article on Babycenter and I just had to write something about it.   So, we've heard of the trend of eating the placenta after birth . We've heard of the trend of putting them in pill form to get the nutrients . But this? This to me, is just the craziest of them all.   As a group of beings on this planet, I've never seen any other mammal who evolves to get to a certain place, then de-evolves on purpose, to be more "natural." I am sure I am seriously about to put my foot in my mouth, I am sure there are (some) people out there that I might offend with my "closed-mindedness" on this topic. But this is just, well, ridiculous to me.   Basically, after the placenta comes out, instead of cutting the cord and detaching it from the baby, you leave the placenta on, they salt it to help with the decomp process, add rosemary (I am guessing for the smell?), then p...

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst...

Why I am Pro Universal Healthcare and Changes to Our Healthcare System

Due to my recent proactivity with my credit and paying off debt, I decided to give the hospital a call where I was admitted about a month ago and ask about my bill. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it in the mail and I wanted to get an idea of what I'd be paying for my stay. I get on the phone with the billing department and the woman is just as nice as can be, really. She was surprised I'd even called her, considering I didn't even have a bill yet. She told me she'd sent the bill over to my insurance to be approved and paid but they hadn't heard back yet. "Just out of curiosity," I asked, knowing I would be responsible for 20% of the final bill, "how much was it?" What I heard next shocked me.   "$61,000" she said.   I said, "$61,000? I was only in the hospital for a night and only on anti-biotics, you can't be serious! My daughter cost me less than a third of that to give birth to and I was in the hospital two nights!...