Skip to main content

Complaining. Oh yeah, I am going there.

So, I've read several blogs by moms lately who are having trouble being honest on their blogs without feeling like they are not taking things for granted. Like, being honest, while feeling the need to apologize for not feeling grateful and happy 100% of the time. With that said, I say, "complain" if you must, Moms! You deserve it from time to time!!!
 
If you are going to be upset with me for not apologizing for the things I am about to say, then let's skip over my post for today, shall we? Cause I am pretty sure all moms feel this way from time to time.
 
First of all, I will say this. God does expect us to show gratitude and be grateful in our situations. But as our pastor said a few weeks ago, that does not mean having to feel grateful and happy for each and every thing life throws at us. "Thank you, God, for giving me this awesome morning sickness, where I feel the urge to throw up every hour. It means my baby is healthy and growing." "Thank you, God, for giving me 27 pots and pans to wash and a dishwasher full of dirty dishes to do every night, cause it means we are eating." "Thank you, God, for allowing me the chance to fold 17 loads of laundry on a constant basis because it means we have clothes to wear." Don't get me wrong. It never escapes my thoughts that some people would kill to have those things. But does that mean that I have to be happy about all of the menial, boring, unpleasant tasks of life, all the time? NO.
 
Sometimes, I feel like every waking moment of my life is filled with HAVING to DO something. Going to work, going to church, doing dishes, doing laundry, shopping for groceries, playing games the kids want to play, listening to Calliou or the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on constant repeat on Netflix, listening to kids pound away at the piano, getting Avery down from the piano bench (again and again and again) cleaning up toys, cleaning up shoes, finding bows EVERYWHERE, finding clothes for Avery every morning, finding stuff for ME every morning, listening to my husband's stories from the day, making lunch, making dinner, feeding the dogs, taking the dogs out, redoing furniture, cleaning out the fridge, cleaning out the garage, blah blah blah ON and ON and ON......
 
I almost never feel like I have a moment of silence, to do what I want to do, EVER.
 
Last night, I officially had 1 and a half hours after Avery went to bed to make a choice. Either do the enormous mountain of dishes in the sink (which I did) or sit down in silence and watch TV.
 
 
 
Well, I did the dishes and didn't have time to put them away, because there was an even MORE enormous pile of clothes that needed to be folded and put away.
 
 
 
Sometimes, we have time to wash and dry clothes, but putting them away isn't alway something we have time for. Well, I folded clothes and stacked the hangup clothes to be ready to be put on hangers, and by the time this was done, it was 9:45. There was still this mess....
 
 
And this mess....
 

There is just not enough time in life to do every single thing we want to do.
 
(Cut to Jessie in Saved by the Bell: "No time! There's never any time! I don't have time to study, I'll never get into Stanford, I let everyone down I am so confused! I am so....scared!")
 

How often do you sit in silence? Just sit, in silence, not talking with your husband or listening to the TV, just sitting with a book or outside in the breeze? I never do. How many of you have some sort of activity that you do on a regular basis, that is JUST about you and you alone? Bunko, softball, book club? I don't.
 
I swear, sometimes in life you just need a BREAK. I think mine comes around every 2 or 3 months, where I feel like I just want to do something, just for me. Where I can buy dinner at a nice restaurant where I wouldn't be able to take 3 kids. Or get desert somewhere where I don't have to share it with 3 kids. Where I want to do something grown up, like watch a movie with "adult content" and not one with the name "She-Ra" or "Lego Star Wars." I want to spend an afternoon, or better yet, a whole day, doing exactly what I want to do. That does happen in our lives, but not very often. I think the last time we spent a whole day doing what we wanted to do was our anniversary in March. I think it's long past due.
 
But alas, it will have to wait. This weekend, we are going out of town to see a friend of mine from NYC (which I really am looking forward to, actually). The weekend after that, it's a garage sale. The weekend after that, it's taking the kids clothes shopping. Perhaps one day, soon. I will just daydream about that day until it comes.
 

Comments

Brooklynn said…
Ah, things to look forward too! Hahaha. We SHOULD plan a day for that. My problem is I always feel like I HAVE to be doing something. Because if I don't, that makes me lazy.
There's a difference between important and urgent. I think finding the balance between those two things is the hard part. Tackle the urgent first and then look at the important list. If it can be put on hold and give you some time to do what you need to do, then do it. Sometimes the urgent list is long and you don't even make it to the important list.
You can't let life get in the way of living. It's so hard to recover if you get into that rut.

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.