Skip to main content

Every Once In a While - We Get Something Right With This Whole Parenting Thing!

I have really given a lot of thought to this lately and I thought I would share.
 
Raising kids is hard, can I get an AMEN?? Sometimes, I really feel like I might be overly strict about stuff with the kids. We've really been instilling in them, while they've been with us in July, that life just isn't about them. It's about your family. It's about your friends. But more than that, it's about your future.
 
We are really trying hard to teach the kids responsibility. We are trying hard to teach the kids consideration of others. We are trying to teach the kids how to behave and be a person that other people want to have over to their home. And there are times that I just think, "They are 8! They are 11! They aren't adults yet, it's OK if they don't do this or that." But then I think, "All of this I am doing now is laying the ground work for this little person to be a good husband or wife someday. I am laying down groundwork for how to be a good parent and how to set boundaries. Everything we do on a daily basis is showing them examples of how to live on this planet with others."
 
It's a tremendous burden at times, this thing they call parenting. It's so hard to want them to like you, but to know it's not always about being liked. It's really difficult pushing them to do things they don't want to do in an effort to make them more independent. It's really hard to hold them accountable for little things that could very easily turn in to big things, when you could easily just look the other way and fix whatever it is they've done or just do it for them.
 
Tonight, it was Sophia's turn to do the dishes. She was emptying the dishwasher and I told her that I would do the rest, since it was a lot. Later on, she actually came up and thanked me and said, "Thank you for doing that for me." It took me off guard - neither of them ever thanked us for doing the dishes before. And that's because neither of them had really ever understood what a beating it was to wash them. But for her to genuinely say thank you to me, it gave me reassurance that making them do the dishes all these weeks, despite the whining and the opposition, they are learning an incredibly valuable lesson. That someone's gotta do it and we are a family here, and I appreciate when it's my turn but someone does it for me to be nice.
 
Every once in a while, God gives you that glimpse of satisfaction, to let you know you are doing something right. And boy, does it feel great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.