Skip to main content

Do You Say The Same Things in Real Life that You Say on Facebook?

I had a conversation on Facebook yesterday with a friend of mine about an article that a wife of a pastor wrote. The article wasn't becoming of a woman who was the wife of a pastor. It was a bad reflection on her church, on Southern Baptists, and on Christians. It really made me wonder what social media is doing to us as a society, but really as Christians.
 
During the abortion bill vote in Texas, my Facebook feed was flooded constantly with some interesting status updates. Some of the posts were incredibly inappropriate, even from friends I knew that are Christians. I look at comments left in online forums such as Yahoo, just judgmental, hateful comments. I believe in my heart that the more and more we are not face to face with each other, the more trouble we have controlling the things we say.
 
My question is this: would you feel comfortable saying the things you say on Facebook, in the same tone and verbage, to a person standing right in front of you? For example, the hatred some people had for women who had abortions - if someone was in front of you, making that choice or going through the process of making that choice, would you say those things to their face like you said it online? Or, during the Chick-fil-a debacle, would you say those things to someone's face who was homosexual?
 
I hate to say it, but social media is making more and more of the world opinionated, passive-aggressive people, requiring less and less accountability for the things that come out of our mouths. It is also making people remember things for much longer. We are writing these things down, for all the world to see, and they are staying there, forever. It's not like 100 years ago, where if you said something dumb, people would forget about it. People can look at your Facebook feed from the beginning of when you joined and see the things you've said and posted. What would a non-believer see if they read your posts, one after the other? Sometimes, I feel really badly about things I've written, either on my updates or in my comments, because I wonder what people must think of me. I wonder what type of impression I am making on them. It makes me think about stuff I say much more carefully now. Not to say I am perfect, but just more careful now.
 
I would really love to do a study about how social media is affecting our minds over a long period of time. It would be an interesting read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.