Skip to main content

I Was the Perfect Parent...Until I Had Kids

 
 
I couldn't help but remember the good old days, about, oh, four years ago, in which single Jenna had the market cornered on being the perfect mom someday. I'd seen many episodes of Supernanny. I was surely a pro. I was the one who always heard screaming children in Target and said, "Why can't they do something about that screaming kid! If it were me, they'd be getting a swat right now!" or "My kids would NEVER act like that." Oh, Jenna. You and your naive ways.
 
Don't get me wrong. My kid doesn't scream in Target for half an hour with me ignoring them completely. And even though she's tried it once, she never hit me again, like I've seen some kids do repeatedly. But aside from that, the whole "parenting" image I had before of me being the perfect mom went out the window the second kids came into the mix.
 
The thing of it is, you never, ever know how a kid is going to turn out. Even as a baby, you think that sweet little baby girl with beautiful eyes and sweet smiles would never manipulate you, or hit you, or say something to hurt your feelings, or throw a tantrum, or throw a toy, or bite, or yell, or whine incessantly. In your mind, you have silent car rides of wonderful music, silent trips to the grocery store, you just have a kid who, you know, is just perfect.
 
The thing is, parenting isn't an art form that anyone ever masters, even the best of us. Kids are just too unpredictable, too emotional, too unique to ever know exactly how to parent them the right way. Of course you set limits. Of course you have rules. Of course you have consistancy. But even those with the best-laid parenting plans are plans that are doomed to fail at one time or another. You think, I have no problem spanking and that will be my consequence, until you have a kid who doesn't care if they are spanked or not. And trust me, there are kids like that, I have one.
 
Now, I have changed alot. When I hear a screaming kid in Target, my first thought is, "I've been there, I wish I could help her!" or "I wonder how many times she's had to punish him today, that she is just ignoring him now cause it's all she can do..." It's amazing how different perspective can be, especially when it comes to parenting.
 
Has there ever been a situation that you thought you'd be one way but then changed your tune when you came out of it?
 
 

Comments

Don Jones said…
Hi Jenna,

When my kids got a little older, I had to confess to them that I had not been nearly as good at parenting as I had always thought I would be. I guess, when it's all said and done, we just do the best we can, and commit them to the Lord, trusting that He will work some magic of His own in what happens in their characters. And then we keep on praying that they will be safe and do well in their lives. Love your comments.

Don

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.