Skip to main content

God Will Use Your Past To Help Someone's Future

There are quite a few take-aways from my retreat that I will be sharing with you this week. Shirley Moses, our speaker, talked to us about being influencers/mentors to other women. She shared her testimony of becoming a Chrstian later in life, in 1991, and was immediately called to begin leading her Sunday school class. She said she didn't even know where most of the books in the Bible were, and had to turn to the table of contents most of the time to find out. She said she didn't have knowledge, but she had a love of women.
 
She talked about how most of us feel very inequipped to help other women learn about Jesus' word. We are afraid to be in front of a class of women because they might, gulp, ask us a question that we don't know the answer to. She also told us that women have a way of making themselves feel like they shouldn't be a leader because of mistakes we've made in our past. But God uses our pasts to help someone's future, so the very fact that you made mistakes in your life is the exact reason God is calling you to do something at all.
 
Struggling with my past is not something that is new to me. Most people in my life know of the life choices I made for a good 12 years before I "found God" again. I really don't keep it a secret and I am not ashamed of it, either. Your past is what it is, it can't be changed. I've turned from my ways and am walking with the Lord, so as far as He and I are concerned, I've asked for forgiveness and received it, so I no longer feel badly for it anymore. It does have a way of creeping up on you, though. It is usually a joke in my family, a long running joke, of the shenangins I have pulled in my life. I won't go into them on this blog, if you ever wanted to know a ridiculous story, I will be happy to tell you, or talk to your kids about the dangers of making bad decisions. Because for a long time, if there was a contest for making poor decisions, I would be numero uno at the top of the list. Saturday night, my sisters and friend came over and the conversation drifted over to those shenangins. Some of them, I remember. Some of them, I have no recolection of. Some of the stories I hear are funny. Others, I just hide my face in embarassment and just say, "Lord, thank you for not allowing me to die, or for me not to kill someone else, or to get arrested." I just thank God when I hear those stories, that even when I turned my back on him, and even when I said, "I don't need you, Lord, you can be on your way, now." It might have seemed like He left, but I was still one of His children and He watched over me. I am here, now, and in my life, now, because He has a purpose and a plan for my life. Thank God, right?
 
You see, it might seem like the only people you see leading a group of Christians or non-Christians, for that matter, are a group of individuals who are perfect. Whose lives have not been filled with bad choices and defiance. Whose lives are perfect, even in the present. But I will be the first to say, my life wasn't (and isn't) like that. I still struggle with decisions and choices and following what God asks me to do. And God has called me to teach children and youth, and I've even said, "Well, I hope no one finds out about the stuff I used to pull back in the day, they would kick me out of this ministry so fast..." but I know that God has, and will, use my past to help someone's future. I really don't know if I will lead someone to Christ because of it, or be a comfort for someone who is also struggling with their past, or be a hope for someone who is currently "living in the muck," but God will use it. God works best in struggles, amen?
 
So, if you are reading this and have not been doing something God is calling you to do, and who knows what that might be, but if you aren't or you are afraid that your past disqualifies you from being a leader to someone else, think again. Our God is an awesome God, and can work miracles, using your past as an influence for someone's future.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.