Skip to main content

Do You Have Quiet Time Everyday?



 As with many times in church, last night, I was convicted.
 
We talked about "What is God's Plan for My Life?" You know, the questions you ask yourself (like I did Monday, remember?) like, What should I do for a living? Apparently, God isn't so concerned with what you do. He is concerned with who you are. In the Trek book, it was talking about how we struggle alot with what we think we should do with our lives. We worry about it. It asked us to write down everything we could remember that we thought about that day. It then asked, how many times did you think about what God wants for you, or being a follower of Christ? I am ashamed to say, it's less than I'd like to admit.
 
I often drift into daydreaming or focusing on plans for our lives. What job we should take, what we should spend money on, how to raise our kids. Unfortunately, all too often those are all byproducts of a life that isn't being led my Christ and being the person He wants to me to be. I am not saying God doesn't want you to plan for you life, but how can you truly know what He wants if you never talk to Him about it, or listen to Him?
 
I don't make time for God in my life every day. I don't even make time for God, true time for God, once a week some weeks. There. I said it. And those are the times I have a hard time solving problems in my life because I don't know how. I keep telling myself, each Sunday or Wednesday, that I will set aside time for God, but I don't follow through. But yet, somehow, you see those blog feeds to our right? I sure do read those everyday. You reading this blog? I make time to write it in everyday. Yet somehow, I can't find 15 minutes to devote to reading God's word and listening to His plan for me? That's appauling.
 
So, I reconciled this situation as best as I can. I found a blog which offers devotionals every day, so in my feed, I can see a devotional a day. I worked it into my schedule. I think this is a good start.
 
If you aren't having a quiet time with God everyday, I encourage you to start this with me. I would like to hear about how it's changing your heart, mind and choices. I will share my experiences as well!
 
If you are having a quiet time, where do you do it? What resources do you use?
 
 

Comments

Don Jones said…
Hi Jenna,
Since I am retired, I have no particular problem in being regular in a daily quiet time with God, which is hindered rarely. But during the years when Nita and I were serving in Korea as missionaries, I realized that I would not be prepared to be God's messenger to people I would be meeting every day, unless I first met up with God on a regular basis. I then began doing something very hard for me, getting up intentionally at 5:30 every morning for intentional time in God's Word and in prayer. I realize that Moms have different responsibilities than Dads, but I think it is possible to make the time for what should be a first priority in our lives--daily quiet time with God. You can do it.
Kaydi said…
I have the YouVersion Bible app for iPhone. It has many different reading plans/topical devotionals to choose from. You can also set it to send you a reminder on your phone daily. I don't use it so much now, but I did before when I was trying to get in the routine. The reminders are helpful. I like having the Bible app on my phone because it makes it a lot easier to read in bed in the morning.
Thank you both for your comments and suggestions! They are very appreciated!

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.