Skip to main content

Disciple Now, IBC, 2013

This weekend, we were a host home for Disciple Now. We had the high school boys, so I wasn't super involved in small group and free time at our house, but I was able to participate in their afternoon activity and worship time on Saturday night. (For those parents of the boys who are reading this, they were ALL WONDERFUL, very mannerly, and kind to the kids! I have no idea if they were loud, we have a large house and I couldn't hear a peep, but I don't know if that's good insulation or kids who went to bed early. I am thinking it's the insulation - although it's proof to me that I will host again!)
 
This is what they spent pretty much all free time doing at our house. Robert and Shari got that for us for Christmas, and BOY has it gotten its money's worth!
 
 
 
They put together bags for homeless children on Saturday...
 


 
And here is the youth group!
 
 
 
The man that spoke, Chad, talked to the kids on Saturday about what it means to be a disciple. Basically, it means to "reproduce reproducers." He also said they did a study once to see how long it took for the words of Jesus to spread after His death to everyone in the world. They said, if everyone who knew about him told 3 people and they kept telling 3 people and on and on, it would have taken 37 years to spread across the world. That was a pretty interesting statistic! He also said that most revivals that happen in the world are started by teenagers. This doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Teenagers are a perfect age to be excited to spread the word, it's such a pure love of Jesus, you haven't gone through tons of trials and tribulations in your life at that point. I think when we become adults, it gets harder and harder to share Jesus with others. I wish it wasn't like that.
 
I know these kids will never understand this until they become adults (in their early 30's with a husband and three children and responsibilities) but I told them today that this will be the best time in their whole life, to be friends with other people who share their same faith, to get to spend weekends and weeks together, worshipping Jesus, and to be fed and led in fellowship. And I told them that there might be so many kids who never know that church can be fun, and what Jesus can do. And to always make sure you invite people to come be a part of it with you. Because you are only young once and to love it now, because it will never be like that again.
 
This weekend really convicted me that I don't invite people to come to church with me, and I should. I don't invite people to be a part of my church family, and I need to. It can all start with one invitation. What a wonderful weekend and what a great reminder of youth group memories! I told Kim, the host of the high school girls, that back in the old days, either mine or her house would have been covered in toilet paper this morning. Thank goodness it wasn't!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.