Skip to main content

EASY Broccoli and Carrot Soup

I wanted to share with everyone a low fat, low cal broccoli and carrot soup recipe that I have just fallen in love with lately!!!

Here are the nutrition facts (from http://www.myfitnesspal.com/)

Calories Carbs Fat Sugar Sodium Fiber


Broccoli Soup, 1 serving                  120        8      3      3       521      0


Ingredients:

3 - 4 cups of broccoli stems and crowns
1 cup of carrots
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon milk
1/8 tablespoon salt (or however much you'd like, for taste)
pinch of pepper (or to taste)
 1 cup low fat cheddar or colby cheese (optional)

1. To make the base of the soup, you will need about 3 cups of broccoli. The way I do it, I use more stems for the base, as they are meatier and you will have a thicker soup. I set aside about a cup of crowns, cut up into small pieces, and carrots. I boil the 3 cups of broccoli stems until very tender. In another pan, I boil the crowns and carrots until very tender.





2. When the stems are cooked, take 3/4 of the broth and stems and put until a blender. You will want to liquify the mixture, and set it aside.






3. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour, salt and pepper. Don't let this cook too long, it will burn.


4. Add the milk and stir continuously with a whisk, as the flour will clump if you don't stir. You want to cook until it bubbles and thickens. Once it bubbles, let it cook 1 minute longer.


5. Add the liquified broccoli mixture, the remaining chicken broth, cheese, and the cooked broccoli crowns and carrots. Let cook until  heated through.


6. Enjoy!



The beauty of this soup is that you can use ANY vegetable combination you like. I've made baked potato soup and it was great. I have also thought about adding squash to the base as a thickener and to add additional vitamins.

Comments

*Katy* said…
I love any kind of creamy broccoli soup and this one looks EASY! I can't wait to try it! And adding squash sounds YUMMY :)

Popular posts from this blog

That "Thing" in That Basket Isn't a Baby, You Know That, Right?

I have had the most horrible case of writer's block lately! With that said, I saw this article on Babycenter and I just had to write something about it.   So, we've heard of the trend of eating the placenta after birth . We've heard of the trend of putting them in pill form to get the nutrients . But this? This to me, is just the craziest of them all.   As a group of beings on this planet, I've never seen any other mammal who evolves to get to a certain place, then de-evolves on purpose, to be more "natural." I am sure I am seriously about to put my foot in my mouth, I am sure there are (some) people out there that I might offend with my "closed-mindedness" on this topic. But this is just, well, ridiculous to me.   Basically, after the placenta comes out, instead of cutting the cord and detaching it from the baby, you leave the placenta on, they salt it to help with the decomp process, add rosemary (I am guessing for the smell?), then p...

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst...

Why I am Pro Universal Healthcare and Changes to Our Healthcare System

Due to my recent proactivity with my credit and paying off debt, I decided to give the hospital a call where I was admitted about a month ago and ask about my bill. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it in the mail and I wanted to get an idea of what I'd be paying for my stay. I get on the phone with the billing department and the woman is just as nice as can be, really. She was surprised I'd even called her, considering I didn't even have a bill yet. She told me she'd sent the bill over to my insurance to be approved and paid but they hadn't heard back yet. "Just out of curiosity," I asked, knowing I would be responsible for 20% of the final bill, "how much was it?" What I heard next shocked me.   "$61,000" she said.   I said, "$61,000? I was only in the hospital for a night and only on anti-biotics, you can't be serious! My daughter cost me less than a third of that to give birth to and I was in the hospital two nights!...