Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye to My Dream House

Six years ago, almost to the day, I posted about us moving into our dream house. 

It was titled, "When You Are Least Expecting It."  I find it ironic, given the way all of this ended, as surprisingly as it began. 

When Jason first left, I had three major fears: 1) Losing my marriage, 2) Losing my stepkids and 3) Losing my house. 

My house is the last on that list of concerns. Of those three things, I've kept the one thing that mattered most, which is knowing I will always be in my stepkids' lives. While I didn't have much control how all of this played out, I was able to negotiate in our decree that when I got rid of the house would be my decision on my terms. I've been paying for it alone since February and the Lord saw fit to take care of me financially until I was ready to emotionally give it up.

The last few months, I've been really thinking about the house and working through my emotions about it. Every week, I get more and more aggravated with having to keep up with the maintenance and cleaning. It's just way bigger than the two of us need. I look around and see places where Jason and I worked side by side in our office, and sleep in the room we shared together. I see the kids rooms that have gone empty for pretty much the entire last 10 months, barring a few random evenings here and there where they've stayed with me, or other guests who have come to visit. I still call their rooms Jordan's room and Sophia's room, even though I don't really feel their presence in them anymore.

This house is a party house, meant for a big family. It's a lovely wonderful house with a beautiful history and a great story. It's given me and my family so many great times. It's held up beautifully and has seen so many family visits, friend visits, parties, showers, Christmas Eves and New Years Eve gatherings,trick-or-treating, ping pong games, game nights with friends and kids, at least 5 birthday parties for Avery and me, a refuge for family when they've needed a place to stay, Disciple Nows, bunco games, a Christmas Tour of Homes, so many tours inside my house by me I can't even count and a wonderful place to be proud of. 

A few months ago, I started being more aggravated with the sheer amount of time it took me to take care of the house. I realized just how much time I was spending sweeping, steam cleaning, cleaning bathrooms and mirrors. etc. And I think my aggravation with it started becoming stronger than my sadness of not having it anymore. That's when I realized it was time to let it go. 

I'm not sure when we will get it on the market, but it will probably be soon. Pray for us as we go through this transition. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.