Skip to main content

NEWSIES!!! Pictures and a Review

We decided a few months back to go see Newsies - and the day finally came!
 
Just to brush up on my Newsies facts and to let Sophia get familiar, we watched the movie last night. Not that I needed a brush up, I still had most of the movie - songs and choreography included - memorized, even after 23 years.

 
 First of all, it was at ATT Performing Arts Center, not at Fair Park as we originally thought, This was my first time to watch a show here and it was beautiful. It is an opera house so it is situated a little different than Fair Park. It's very tall and narrow but has such nice sound.


I am so blessed to have a child that loves musicals as much as I do. It's so much fun to go to these things with her!!

 
We started by going out to eat at Pei Wei!! Such a nice treat.

 
Sophia had a great time and so did we!!
 
 
 
 
We were able to stay afterwards and have a Q & A with a few of the cast members. It was nice to hear about the show and then get a close up of the stage!
 
 
 

 
Ok - now on to the review!!
 
This show is different from the movie. The story line is a bit different. There are some characters who are changed and are portrayed different than they are in the movie. But, in a good way. There are a few added songs that you won't recognize, and they were OK. But the dancing....
 
Oh, the dancing.
 
The dancing, choreography, set design, and level of talent in this production is the best I've seen. And I say that with great hesitance as Wicked is my favorite musical. But these guys and their dancing abilities were better than in the movie. And that's hard, because those guys in the movie are awesome.
 
First and foremost - the set design of this show was absolutely the best I've ever seen. The way they blocked everything, the quickness of set changes and how they worked it into to the show seamlessly, it was all amazing. They added levels of technology that I've never seen done before that were incredible. They had moveable towers that could separate and had screens that would roll up and down to be the backdrops. The cast ran up and down those towers the entire show. It was amazing.
 
Secondly, the singing was great. It's not hard to sing better than Christian Bale (no offense, Batman) or Doogie's best friend, but they tried very hard to make the songs sound like what the audience had come to love. I hate when musicals change things up and do different renditions and these guys didn't. The accents, the style, it was all the same as the movie.
 
The dancing was what really set this show apart. It's unbelievable that these guys do this day after day. The level of energy was outstanding. You left there completely satisfied - you cheered and clapped the whole time. I am so glad we went and greatly enjoyed it!!
 
Here is a number from the Tony awards, just to get a little taste!
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.