Skip to main content

My Older Home and Why I LOVE IT!

I love my house. I really do. But my house, as with most old houses, needs a lot of updating. Don' get me wrong - this house has SO much character. Character that I love. Like these great lights. I love these lights.
 
 
Or these black lava rock columns that match the fireplace.

 
Or what my kids call "the castle dungeon hallway" because of these yellow, pointy lights that shine all eery at night.

 
But look at this hallway and tell me you've EVER seen a hallway as cool as this one?

 
My house is full of these old, ornate light fixtures and wall sconces. Most of them aren't worth saving, but these in Avery's room need a good cleaning and are salvageable, just because, what little girls room is really complete without crystals on your mirror?

 
And a huge pink bathtub? What girl gets that? (It's so retro but I still love it)

 
This is a chandelier hanging in my bathroom. It gets so dirty so quickly from dust and hairspray, but I would hate to lose it, it's so neat.

 
And this neat chandelier in my dining room. It needs a new paintjob, but I love the shape.

 
I am on the fence about these doors. They are bigger than most front doors and really heavy, and those big brass handles are crazy. But I love the way they look with the house.

 
A few things I am ready to be done with are things like this bathroom...
 
There were so many patterns going on in this house the first time I saw it. it was unbelievable.
 
Blue and white and gold tile with black and white marble counter tops...
 
 
Three separate variations of brown, orange and while, yowza.
 
 
Complete with a brown toilet and saloon doors!
 
 
I love all of the closet space and built ins, but gotta love brass pulls! (WHICH ARE EVERYWHERE). I think once I counted that between the kitchen and all four bathrooms., two built in desks, and all of the built in drawers and cabinets, I have over 120 pulls in this house to replace!
 
 
My house also has five pocket doors, which I LOVE. But what is this door missing in my master bedroom? Oh right. A LOCK.
 
 
And then, there are the really cool, but need to be replaced, doorknobs. I have 8 of these that need to get replaced!
 
 
Older homes aren't for everyone, trust me. As a Realtor, I am drawn to older homes because I just love that they are so different and unique. My house is the coolest house I've ever seen and I wish everyone else loved these older homes as much as I do! But it's hard to compete with brand new. But my bedrooms are the size of most masters, if not bigger. I have two master rooms in my house and all bedrooms have access to a bathroom. So, all in all, I love it enough to make it work.
 
What about you, do you love older homes that need some tender loving care or do you prefer state of the art?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.