Skip to main content

Fortitude

Fortitude: Courage in pain or adversity


Yesterday was a day that Jason and I had really been looking forward to. There were a couple of big things that we were hoping were happen for our family. It turned out to be one of the top ten worst days of my life that I can remember.

I used to have bad days all the time. I really had no perspective about what a really bad day looked like, so small things could really hit me hard and before I knew it, I would be crying, throwing a huge fit, upset, just completely overreacting. I really don't have days like that much anymore.

After I had Avery, I started to realize that I had my health, my husband had his, and Avery was perfect. Things that I was going through weren't really that bad. And even though it was taking a long time to resolve, the things I was going through were temporary. I would live another day, eventually our situation would get better, so I stopped taking everything so hard and so seriously.

The hardest time I have in life, when my mind gets scrambled, when I stop being able to think clearly and rationally, is when I am tired. And I don't mean tired, I mean several nights in a row of horrible sleep, ending up in me being completely exhausted. Jason knows that this is when I need to hit my reset button. I am unable to handle whatever might be going on and get very overwhelmed, so I need a night of TV to get my mind off of whatever is going on and I full night's sleep.

Last night, on our way home, I just lost it. I just knew it was time to hit my reset button. So I came home, turned on Master Chef, ate some pot roast and birthday cake, took some Benadryl and fell asleep at about 930. When I woke up today, I did feel better. Although my eyes are puffy and my head still hurts, I know that today is a new day and it can be better than yesterday.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I find it very difficult to not just give up. I don't mean, give up altogether. I mean, say, what's the point of trying so hard? To think, why am I doing all of this? It is not getting better, I might as well just stop trying. But something in me just says keep going, eventually there will be a pay off for all of the things I am doing to make my life better. At this point, my main motivation is my husband and my daughter. I would love for our life to be one where we can have the things we need and the things we want without it being so hard. I know we have some making up to do for mistakes of the past, and I know those things took a long time to get bad so it's going to take a while to get better. Sometimes, I just get blindsided and it just takes the wind out of me. But I have to know that God has a plan for my life and at some point, things will truly start coming together.

My mom said last night that it is going to take alot of fortitude to get through all of this. That I have already shown so much perserverance, I just have to keep going. I like the word fortitude. I think it's a very powerful word and the meaning is just as powerful. I think there are many people in the world who show great fortitude. When I think of the word "fortitude," I think of the movie The Pursuit of Happyness. He just kept going, despite things and circumstances around him being so hopeless. Sometimes, we choose to keep going. Sometimes, we don't have a choice but to keep going. I think for me, it's a combination of both. I can't stop trying because I have a family who is counting on me. Jason doesn't quit, I can't quit. At some point, we will get through this. I just have to believe that.

But today, as the song says, I am going to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.