Skip to main content

Who is in Control? My Story

God is good, isn't He? Just when I doubt that He knows what he's doing, something happens that proves it all the more.

Today is my last challenge of my 7 day challenge. My task is to Write A Story. I was almost completely done with this story today, my life story, to share. When I went to choir rehearsal tonight, we were asked to share our story of how we came to know Christ with the person next to us. After a few minutes, our director said the one thing he hears the most is that most people don't know how to witness or share God with others. He told us the easiest way to do it is "tell your story." Ok, God. I am listening.

I have always known Christ. I have been going to church since before I can remember and I accepted Him into my heart when I was around 7. I was a very active member of my youth group as a teen. But around 18, my senior year, I felt like I had lost Him. He completely stopped being the leader of my life and I started questioning a lot of my beliefs; I stopped going to church and didn't really want to be a part of making Christian decisions. I totally wanted to do what I wanted to do and not feel guilty. I put going out with my friends ahead of all other things, I lied about many parts of my life and dated guys that were not good for me. I even dated a guy who did not believe in God (that relationship almost devastated me completely). I spent my entire 20's feeling very lost, depressed, and out of control. The more I tried to control things, the worse they always tended to become. I had lost a lot of self-confidence along the way and I couldn't understand why I didn't have the things I thought I deserved, like a great career, a husband, and a family. I was mad at God. A lot. I remember always asking "why me? Why am I stuck here in this horrible place?" Don't get me wrong, my life was not all bad, especially not from the outside looking in. But internally, I was suffering a great deal. There were even a few times I felt like running away, thinking people in my life, my family, would be better off without me there. There were many times I remember feeling completely hopeless. I made mistakes that I could not forgive myself for, and carried around a lot of guilt, pain, and fear. I remember feeling very, very alone. A lot. And I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Looking back, I know. It was because God was letting me take the lead.

It wasn't like God wasn't there, I always knew He was there, even though I forcibly pushed Him away. He would tell me sometimes to be patient and to let Him take care of things, but I could never wait. I had to do things on my own, without His help. And man, did I make some huge messes! But looking bad, there were so many times (my parents can attest to this) that things couldn't have worked out so well for me. God was keeping me safe because He had plans for my life, and no matter what I was going to do, He was going to get me here, to this place. It was His plan.

At 29, I gave up. I remember the moment it happened, I was sitting in my living room and I said, "God, I am ready for a good guy, a guy who will be nice to me and give me the things I deserve. I leave it in your hands." I bet 3 weeks later, Jason showed up. And we have been together ever since.

The first time I had been back to church was with Jason and it felt like it was so right. I was with the kids and we would sing Jesus Loves Me, I got to be around Jason's Godly family and I let my Godly parents in to my life. I made family and God important. And it changed my life 100%! Honestly, I have had so many reasons since Jason and I have been together to be upset or angry with God's plan. We have had our impatient moments where instead of waiting on His timing, we wanted to do things on our own timing. God is very quick to tell us, "Hold on...." God has been convicting me of so many things, asking things of me that I am like, huh? But, I have tried to listen and do, even if I don't understand. And even though I don't understand, I feel more mentally together being "out of control" then being "in control."
I am doing my best to listen now before I do because Go has proved, time and time again, that He knows what He's doing, and yet I still continue to doubt. Why do we do that so much as humans? Anyway, that is my story, for better or for worse.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.