Skip to main content

I Love I Love Lucy

I am on day 3 of my blog challenge and I am looking forward to my new challenges everyday! Todays challenge...Write a Review! It can be on anything, a movie, a TV show, a book. I have decided to review a classic show that I have loved and loved for years...

I Love Lucy!

I have seen every episode of I Love Lucy about 65 times, or maybe even more. This show never seems to get old, even after all of these decades. I sometimes wonder how it has such an ageless, timeless quality to it. Despite the parts about the series that date the series back to the 50's, it still holds its edge as a funny, relevant series of today.

First and foremost, Lucy was cutting edge for its time. It was filmed in front of a studio audience on a sound stage, with 3 cameras as opposed to just 1. If you watch The Honeymooners, you will notice it was filmed on a theatrical stage with only one camera and had a very grainy appearance to it. Lucy used technology that only movies were using at the time, giving it its clear black and white appearance and up to date sets. It was able to film scenes in more than one room at a time (filming from the kitchen to the living room to the bedroom, for example), compared to only one set (the living room/kitchen of The Honeymooners). This particular technique has allowed Lucy to be fresh looking and added a high visible quality to the show for the viewer.

I Love Lucy was not only entertaining but it also allowed audiences to relate to the characters on the screen. Although not all situations Lucy got into were realistic, you could find something honest and endearing about the way Lucy and Ricky's marriage worked. She had her quarks but he loved her anyway. She got into trouble all the time, costing him money and embarrassment, but it didn't matter because he loved her despite it all. The friendship between the Ricardos and the Mertzes was realistic as well. They had their fights and disagreements, but their friendship stood the test of time. Ethel was a great friend to Lucy and Fred to Ricky, and when Little Ricky came along, they accepted him and played the parts of aunt and uncle with love and affection. I believe these relationships, throughout all of their imperfections, allowed audiences to feel a sense of realism and relatibility.

This show was also the first to ever include an on screen pregnancy (even though sensors said they were not allowed to use the term "pregnant"). Once the baby came, Little Ricky was made a part of the story as much as they could and did not stick him in a room "napping" never to be seen again. Watching Lucy go through a pregnancy, with all of the mood changes and pregnancy symptoms allowed mothers to connect to her on a whole new level. As producers, Lucy and Desi made a very smart choice to include her real life pregancy in the show, as it certainly added to the value of the show and raised the show to a whole new level.

But the cornerstone of the show was Lucy's comedic timing. She was willing to go anywhere for the audience to laugh. Dressing up in ridiculous costumes, using physical comedy, using voices, and making herself the punchline...this is how Lucy remained true to her comedic strengths. As a chorus girl in Hollywood before the success of I Love Lucy, she was never a stand out. But as a role of zany housewife and by Desi and the writers giving her all the license to do what she wanted to do for the show, she could be exactly the comedic genius she was meant to be and the world was all the better for it. What would the world be like without Lucy?

Let's hear your reviews!!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Comments

Brittany said…
Can't believe you didn't review The Golden Girls! I now have all the DVD box sets because you got me hooked on them in college. Every Sunday afternoon is spent watching a few episodes!!

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.