Skip to main content

The Power Of Prayer in Marriage

Jason and I are newlyweds, going through the trials of the first year of marriage. We are also a couple that is expecting. We are also a couple who have both changed jobs this year. We have had alot of things happen to us in the last 7 months.

When Jason and I got together in the beginning, I had convinced myself that I had alot of wisdom when it came to relationships. I was by myself for so long and had been through so many heartbreaks and bad situations when it came to guys that I thought when I met Jason, I had it all figured out. I really thought that since I was older when I got married and was "wiser" that I was going to be immune to alot of the things people go through in relationships. I had seen friends get together and break up, watching as they went through their trials and I told myself I learned a few things along the way. I knew the importance of keeping your sense of humor. I knew the importance of spending time with friends as an individual. I knew what could happen to people if they didn't have God in the center of their relationship. I knew the benefits of not constantly fighting and making the relationship intentionally harder than it had to be. I really thought Jason and I were immune to alot of the things people go through in relationships. I was not exactly accurate.

I will say, Jason and I have been through alot and learned alot as individuals. We certainly do not have the same problems as people who get married very young in life. I do not regret "getting married young" or "not sowing my wild oats." I do not feel like my life was taken away from me when I got married, as some people do. Jason had learned from alot of mistakes in his first marriage. But immune to arguments, we were not. Lately, we have been arguing. Not about anything important, just things. I kept telling myself it was the hormones causing me to act in ways I wouldn't normally act or that "everyone argues the first year of marriage." When it comes down to it, those are just excuses. Sure, there might be some truth to them, but really they are just scapegoats that give people reason to argue with their spouses. Yesterday, as we had spent the whole commute bickering and not speaking, I realized that there was something not right about all of this. It just felt wrong to be arguing with Jason. Our relationship was never one that was fueled by the passion of the up and down, roller coaster emotions that dominate some relationships. It just felt very off and very wrong that we had spent so much time lately not getting along. So, I did what I SHOULD have done this whole time. I prayed. And God showed me almost immediately what was going wrong.

I wasn't being a Godly wife and it was affected my relationship.

I prayed that God show me what He wanted me to see. How am I to be a more Godly wife? I told Jason I had this conviction and his response was the he probably wasn't being a Godly husband either. I realized that I wasn't praying for him to be Godly. I wasn't praying for him at all, which is the first step to being a Godly wife. So I have decided to devote time every day for the next 30 days to praying for my husband and for our marriage. I am spending time with God each day to show me how to take my marriage to the next level. Since I trust God 100%, I know these 30 days will help me and will help Jason be the man God wants him to be.

The first day, I am praying to be a spiritual supporter of my husband. I am praying for God to listen to my prayers and to help me to spend time praying every day for Jason, so that we both may know where our lives our meant to lead, according to God. Matthew 7:7-8 says "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." I am praying that God opens doors to what we will do as a married couple.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey. Its neat to read this and see that you are doing this. I wish so badly that ALL wives, especially new ones, would do this so that they can protect their marriage. Many women realize this later but sometimes its too late. I am happy for you Jenna. Marriage is hard, no matter who you are, and prayer is by far the number one way to get through it and get to the other side.

Plus when you pray FOR your husband you will begin to see him in a different light. You will want him to succeed and you will want to lift him up in person. I just love this. Keep on growing that baby. I am just 5 weeks behind you, these two girls will be so close in age. Love you and I am here for you! Tanna

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.