Skip to main content

$125 Living Room Redo

This wall of windows has been on my to do list since we moved into nearly three years ago. When we first moved in, there was a wall of sheer curtains that we immediately took down.
 
 
It looked a million times better, just removing those curtains.
 
 
This last year, I bought some cheap curtains just to have something on the wall.
 
 
These weren't terrible, at all. They were cheap, especially since I had to buy 7 of them. However, they had no style. But they were a place holder until I figured out exactly what I wanted this room to be. I also knew we would eventually have to replace those blinds, but just kept them up for function's sake. They were all different colors, they were broken in some places, and they weren't in very tight, so if you pulled them wrong, they would fall. Well, yesterday, one of them decided just to break completely. Since I didn't want to spend a ton of money on the 2 inch blinds right then, which is what I really want, I decided I needed to find some curtains and paint the wall. The other problem this wall had was when the painters came to do the house before we moved in, they didn't take the curtain rod down before hand, so when we removed it, there were holes and different colors of paint on the wall. It's bugged me constantly.
 
This week, I went to Hobby Lobby for the 52nd time to look for some type of fabric I could make curtains with. I had looked for curtains for months, but I needed long ones and ones with style, so I could never find any I could afford. Luckily, on this day, they had the perfect curtains, burlap white and blue chevron, for 50% off. They only had four and I needed 7, but I thought I can figure out a way to make this work until I can get to another Hobby Lobby and hope to find 3 more. Four curtains for $71, and they were 96 inches long. When I got them home, I loved them, but against the white wall, they were so washed out. I also was going to have to raise the exsiting rods higher, which was going to put more holes in the wall. I decided now was as good a time as any to go ahead and paint the wall to add some contrast.
 
We went to Home Depot with the budget of $40 for paint and supplies, which was going to be tricky. I realized when I got there that we were also going to have to paint the inside of the windows and sills white, or else it would look so dirty against the new paint. Originally, my idea was to paint the wall blue to match the curtains, but doing white and turquoise, it can get overly matchy matchy real quick, so I decided to go ahead and do brown. We were just about to have a gallon of paint mixed when my wonderful Oops! shelf lit up from the heavens with a coffee color for $9. I got a quart of white for $10, a spray paint to finish another job for $4, and supplies for $15, for a grand total of $39.68. Score!!
 
The paint ended up working beautifully. What luck!!
 
Here is what we've been looked at every day before we got started. Hideous!!
 
 
Here is what it looks like now! I took pictures at night because the color of the wall is easier to see.

 
As you can tell, having only four curtains still looks a bit wonky, but they are so much better than before.

 
Staring at this wall makes me hearty happy!!

 
To add a little interest, I bought a set of three black frames at an estate sale for $5, painted them Heirloom White, and printed off a free printable from the internet.

 
This was another find at the estate sale that I scored for $10. I knew these piece would look amazing painted Aqua and distressed....

 
And I was right! I really have been annoyed with distressing for the past few years, but looking at this piece, I did a few more things this way that I will show on another day.

 
The "W" pillow cover was a Target find for $3, I think? And the ottoman was recovered from leftover fabric from another project. I love the way this is all turning out!!
 
 
So, let's recap the expenses:
 
Curtains: $71
Paint and Supplies: $39
Picture Frames: $5
Side Table: $10
 
Total: $125!!
 
I think I will sleep very well tonight!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.