Skip to main content

The Evolution of Decorating

When I first started living by myself, I would say that I could put a room together and have it look decent. It would flow and it had a theme. My "style," if I had one, consisted of easy and safe colors. Lots of wood, maroons, greens, browns, and darker blues. Neutral colors were definitely my go-to. Don't get me wrong - I have always loved where I lived and felt it was cozy and homey and neutral colors are always a great way to go.
 
Things started to change when I discovered blogs. Blogs changed my life because they taught me how to do things I would never have tried before. They also taught me about products I would never have known existed because I hadn't ever stepped foot in a home improvement store before, at least not for things like chalk board paint or painter's tape.
 
The first thing I ever tried was a gallery wall.



It turned out OK. I remember staring at the wall - it was nothing special looking at it now-but I remembered thinking, this is so cool. it has so much style! From that point, I started off painting small things like vases and lamps. (I was pretty proud of this last one, actually).



Once I started buying the paint, I would have paint leftover from a project and I would say, "What can I get my hands on to paint now?" I started painting old picture frames and cookie jars. Then, people started asking if I wanted their old furniture because they had seen I had been learning how to redo things. I always loved getting hand me downs (still do). I love breathing new life into something someone has used and now I get to love it and use it. Every single room at my house has something someone has given me or something I've purchased at a garage sale and redone. Over time, the projects became larger and I started taking more risks with color and style. Really, all of this started because Jason and I had no money and I wanted some new things but couldn't afford to pay for them brand new, so I started visiting garage sales. I still love visiting garage sales. I don't think that will ever change.
 
I used to think I could never have been a decorator and I could never do what they did. But the more I painted and the more I came up with ideas, the more that started to change. One of my bigger projects was redoing the dining room table and chairs my parents gifted to us. It was the first time I had used wood stain. This was still one of my most favorite "afters" I've ever had. It took me days and weeks to get all of that finished and after I was done, I had this feeling of such accomplishment. It really looked great in that house.




 
Anyway, over time, I've been more willing to take risks and use colors and patterns I would never have used otherwise. My navy blue room is a great example of that - it was a dark color to choose but it worked out so wonderfully.



Well, I've another vision for my living/dining room -

 
Yellow!!
 
It will really be gray with splashes of yellow but I just can't wait to get started. These rooms need TONS of attention.
 
Something like this...
 
 
Or this...
 
 
I am just feeling the inspiration now.
 
I guess I wrote all of that to say - my, how things change. I get told constantly, "I could never do that!" Anyone can do that, but not everyone likes to do that. I used to think I couldn't so I just never tried. Now, it's one of my favorite thing to do. Not so much painting, but after it's over, it's great.

I can't wait to get started on this one though - I am excited to see where it will take me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.