Skip to main content

Jason's Birthday

Jason had his 31st birthday on Thursday. On Wednesday night, I took the kids to get him a few birthday presents. I decided that along with gifts the kids were going to pick out (which I knew were going to be GREAT as all presents are from a 5 year old and 8 year old picking them out) they were going to give their dad a gift card to Chili's, a place he likes alot (for some reason). I took the kids to Dollar Tree because I also thought that Sophia could pick out her treat for her "By Myself Chart."

When we got there, Jordan was not very happy that he didn't get a treat too. Jordan tends to get really upset when things are not always about him or when things aren't "fair." I know Mom, I was the same way when I was a kid. I thought this would be a very valuable lesson that my parents taught me growing up: sometimes, kiddo, life just isn't fair and sometimes it just isn't your turn. I know he gets upset with me because I don't give in to feeling guilty about not getting him something that he wants, but it's a lesson all kids need to learn. I told him, after repeated pleas for me to buy him something, that there will be alot of times when it's his turn and it's not Sophia's, or when he will get something that she won't get. I don't really care how much he hates it. Learning the lesson that life isn't fair has helped me alot in my adult life. He will too, someday. So, Jordan got Jason an iPod nano cover and Sophia got him an Ice Age watch. It was purple. And he wore it to work the next day, like a good dad would.

When I was thinking about what to get him, I just couldn't decide. I know there are some things he needs, but I just couldn't choose. So I got him something he never gets to have...money of his own that he can spend on just him. Since we've been engaged, we have been on a strict budget. With Jason losing his job at the end of January, the wedding, and now the baby coming, the kids staying with us the whole month of July, and the other things life throws at you, sometimes it seems that money once you get married and have kids, money is all community property, to be used for the couple's needs or the kids' needs. It seems like money is never just YOURS anymore. So, I gave Jason money that he could spend on anything he wants. He seemed to like that more than any gift I could have given him.

I attemped to make a carrot cake with cream cheese icing, which I decorated myself. I have learned with any kind of cooking that practice makes perfect. You learn each time that you make something which way works best, things you would do different next time, and what you could add or not add that would make it better. It took me about 100 tries to really get good at making pancakes. So, the icing was too runny (not so much milk next time) the tip of the bag I used was too big for the letters, and next time I will use two boxes of cake mix, not just one, so the cake will be bigger and more moist. I have also learned with baking that the proper tools REALLY help when it comes to icing and decorating. I found these cute black and white candles so I thought black and white would be really cute. It turned out just ok.









On Thursday morning, I got up at about 5:50 and cooked Jason's favorite breakfast, biscuits and gravy and eggs with coffee. The kids and I got up and served him breakfast in bed and he loved it! He was so surprised. The kids really really liked it too.







Happy Birthday Baby - I love you. You are the best husband EVER!

Comments

Brooklynn said…
Such a good wifey.

But I'd debate you on the best husband ever part. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.