Skip to main content

God is Good, All the Time. Even When It Hurts.

The outpouring of love and encouragement I've received today has been overwhelming. Thank you all for your kind words!

I wanted to share a little more of my journey here today, for those interested. I'm never going to publicly talk about the details of what happened, because I know that what happens on the internet stays on the internet, and there are things that my kids just don't need to see. So, I write everything, picturing them reading my posts as adults and how they would feel about what I said.

It's been incredibly important to me, during this journey, that I understood who the true enemy is, and that's Satan. And as much as Satan wanted my marriage, he also wanted me to crumble into a ball, be unproductive, cry everyday, be distraught, doubt my faith, be bitter and never trust again. Anyone who knows even a small inkling of who I am knows that is not who I am, nor who I will ever be. And I was never going to give that horrible being the satisfaction of destroying my marriage, but also destroying me. I get up, every day. I work, every day. I keep my house clean. I keep seeing my friends. I keep reading my Bible, going to church, and depending on God. That's how I have gotten to this point, and what will keep happening. 

I think I read 45 books in the last 6 months. Some of them were great. Most of them were not. But the few that were good really encouraged me to look within and find the strength in myself through God. 

One book I read talked about finding your spiritual gifts. I always knew I was resilient, but never thought of it as a spiritual gift. God gave me the gift of resilience. I'm like a bouncy ball - you can throw me down (or I might throw myself down lol) but I won't be down for long, I will always come bouncing back. I realized that resilience in me was always there - even before I started going through times that strengthened it. That's how I knew God had given me this gift long before I ever need to use it. 

I have always been able to find the good in bad situations. My world is never "over," my life is never "destroyed." Nothing is ever that dire, because no matter the outcome, God will always use these bad situations, even my own bad choices, for His glory. I knew pretty early on in the least last 6 months that's exactly what God was expecting to do with me. I have the gift of communication and the gift of transparency. And I knew, eventually, sharing my story was what God was intending for my life.

It took me a while to get to a place of being able to say the words "My marriage is over." Furthermore, how was I going to explain to people what happened? I realized after a while that I didn't need to explain to anyone what happened. But I needed to find a way to tell people my marriage was over without breaking down into a teary ball. It took me months to get to that place. I couldn't be around a lot of people for weeks. I stopped going to my own church and started going to the churches of the small group of friends who knew what was going on. I told my pastor and his reaction was nothing short of encouraging and helpful - and he knew it was going to take some time, but I my church family would always be here when I was ready. It just took me some time to wrap my head around the reality and know that I could still tell people what was happening with my head held high. I also needed to be able to hear the "I'm so sorry" and the "Praying for you" without losing it altogether. Because I knew, with the people I know, that everyone who said those things really truly means them, and it's not easy to accept those emotions while you are emotional yourself. 

I am a beautiful, capable, intelligent, problem-solving, resilient, strong, funny, loyal daughter of the King. And let me tell you - his provision throughout all of this is unmistakable. I don't just mean financial. In all aspects. It's actually awe-inspiring, just how much He's shown me, "Jenna, I got you." 

I have a 7 year old daughter who looks up to me, who sees how I am responding to this. And I'll be darned if she's going to see a woman crumble into nothing because of something like this. She's my mini-me and just as strong as I am. As much as I feel so bad that she has to go through this, I know that God has her too. And you know what? Even during this experience, she's grown closer to God as well. I talk to her about her feelings, we talk about how choices affect our lives, we talk about how God answers prayers, but sometimes He doesn't answer them the way we want Him to. I've been open and honest, as much as is appropriate, so that she can not only see that God can provide strength when things like this happen, but also how we get through it. And that it's OK to be sad, angry, upset, happy....our feelings are important and they are OK, no matter what they are. That's the biggest thing she's learned. No matter what - how you feel is OK. It's what we do with our feelings that is important. She's going to be just fine. She and I have been on lots of great adventures and will continue to do so. It took us some time to get our new routine down, but she took to it like gangbusters. We both have our days. I support her, and if she sees I'm sad, she says, "Mom, do you want a hug?" and I tell her, "Avery, your hugs are miracles because they always make me feel better." And I look at that beautiful miracle and think, "If all of this happened just to get her, it was well worth it." 

And when I have my breakdowns, which of course, I do, I have my core group that would never judge. I call them and tell them my feelings, no matter what they are, and they listen and encourage me, no matter what. They speak truth into my life and I listen, and they've helped me more than they will ever know. But ultimately, I make sure that the one person who knows how I am feeling is God. Even if He's the one I am mad at. He's the creator of the universe - He can take it. I cast my cares on Him, and He gives me a peace that passes all understanding, that even if I have no idea what is in my future, it's a future ordained by Him, and that's all I need to know. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.