Skip to main content

Starter Story: Our Home Journey

I was recently made aware of a company called Compass. It's a home search company that works mainly in Washington D.C. and New York City that helps pair people with neighborhoods and agents that best fit what they are looking for. They are running a series called Starter Stories so it inspired me to write a little about our first homes we shared as a family. I always think of a home as any place you live; it doesn't have to be a house you own, just a place where you come home to be with family.
 
Jason and I have lived in a few homes in our time together. Our first "home" together was a three bedroom apartment. When we signed the lease, we had the two kids, the two dogs and ourselves. It seemed perfect because it was much bigger than the two bedroom Jason was living in and we only had the kids a portion of the time. Until we quickly found out we would be expecting a baby!
 
This apartment was the first place Jason's kids had their own rooms (at least for a little while, until Avery came along!).
 
It was the home my baby came home to for the first time.
 
 
We struggled together in this apartment, learned how to survive together here. We were broke, so learned how to redo furniture here. I learned how to make curtains and hang pictures.


 
It was the first room the girls shared together.

 
It was cramped. We had no yard, so we felt like we were always on top of each other. I was constantly having to tell the kids to stop running and jumping because we were on the 2nd floor. We didn't even have cable or internet for the longest time!! We had a digital converter box that got us through.
 
But Avery learned to stand up on her own here.
 
 
And we celebrated one happy year of marriage here.
 
 
Looking back, it wasn't what we wanted, but certainly what we needed.
 
We were pretty stoked when we decided to lease a house in Grand Prairie. It was a little larger than the apartment, but it had a wonderful perk - a HUGE backyard!!
 
 
The first thing I had the kids do was run and jump as much as they wanted. We loved finally having a house with a garage and a yard and space.
 
We made our first major home purchase here (new living room furniture).
 
 
Avery turned 1 here.

 
 
We got to have our first backyard Easter Egg Hunt here.
 
 
Once again, it wasn't our "dream home" but it certainly was a step in the right direction!!
 
I did a lot of makeovers in this house.
 
Before:
 
 
After:
 
 
Before:
 
 
After:

 
I learned that just because it isn't a dream home doesn't mean you can't love living there and make it your own. I learned the feeling of delayed gratification and working hard on something. It certainly helped to learn all of that because our next house has been the biggest project of all!
 
 
After:
 
 
 Before:
 
 
After:
 
 
Before:
 
 
After:
 
 

This is the house we hope to call home for a very long time. It's been a project in the making and will still continue to be, but it's got tons of room for all of us to be comfortable and grow up in.

What is your starter story??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.