Skip to main content

Avery's Birthday Party - An Anniversary of the Day Our Lives Changed Forever.

Avery still has two more weeks until her actual birthday, but because it always lands in Thanksgiving week, I try to have it earlier so more kids can come. This time, I decided to have her birthday at my new apartment. It's been about 4 years since I had a birthday party for her at my house....and it's been over a year since I've had people over for a party, period. 

Despite the gas line not working in the courtyard area for my great idea of doing s'mores around the fire pit in my courtyard, the kids had a fabulous time. Adults did too! It was SO nice to have friends over again, for Avery and I, both. We are always the hostesses...so it's nice to be able to do that again. Last year about this time, I was selling my house and moving in with my mom and dad. 




The year before that, two years ago, was when my life fell apart. 

Not to totally hijack my child's birthday celebration, but Avery's birthday party day will always be a Memorial Stone for me. "Memorial stones" is a reference to the Israelites, as they had been freed from slavery. God told them to take a rock from a river and put it in their house, so when people ask, "Why do you have this rock?" they could tell them it was a reminder of when God brought them through a difficult time. Memorial stones aren't always stones to me, but there are certain dates and things in my life that have memorial stones. It just so happens....Avery's birthday party day is one for me. 

This woman in the picture below...she'd planned a big, beautiful tea party birthday party for her daughter. The entire week, Avery couldn't WAIT to go. Her dad was out of town on business the whole week and was supposed to come home Saturday, the day of her party. That morning, instead of coming home, I got a text from him that said, "I don't want to do this anymore, I want a divorce." Then he got on a plane to come back to Texas and moved in with his parents. He didn't even come to her party that night. 

The woman in the picture below had literally been crying in secret all day long, as she tried to keep a happy and upbeat face for her 7 year old child, then had to keep it together as everyone came to the party and pretend like what happened that morning, hadn't actually happened. Luckily, with it being a tea party birthday, the only man that actually came was MY dad, cause Avery had decided last minute that she didn't want any boys to come, so it worked out for her that she didn't realize what was going on. 


The woman in that picture had NO idea what was about to happen to her life, but she was completely and totally devastated. 

Two years later, I never would have imagined my life as it is now, with me and Avery celebrating her birthday as a 9-year-old and her single mom, in our own two-bedroom apartment. The woman in the picture below, the woman I am today - she has her joy back. 




I wore this shirt to Avery's party because of this very reason. It's Psalm 30:5b: "Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning." 

I got to celebrate my daughter's birthday and it doesn't have to be a reminder each year of the pain of what happened or what I've lost, it can be a reminder of how far I've come - how far WE've come. It can be a reminder of God's amazing provision and promises to never leave us. It can be a reminder that pain might come in the night, but joy will always come in the morning. 

It was a really great day. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.