Skip to main content

How Are The Kids?

The biggest question I get asked is how the kids are handling everything. I will say that the older two are probably having a harder time with this than Avery is. This is their second divorce to go through of their father's, so there are some feelings with everything. We get to see each other now, it was rocky there for a few months. But now, I get to see them again and I know they really love being able to see me. The same thing goes for me.





As far as Avery goes, the kind of crummy yet kind-of-silver-lining part of this is that her sister and brother are the children of divorced parents, so this whole thing isn't foreign to her. Should a child be familiar with divorce like she is? No. However, it has helped her transition through this a little better than I think she would have otherwise. Visiting dad on certain days isn't a new concept to her. She knows when she goes and sees him because it's when her brother and sister see him, and she's used to that schedule. I am very glad her sister and brother are there because I think it's been a lot easier on her. It's been easier on me, too. With Jordan and Sophia, I have two teenagers who love their sister and who look out for her. So, from that aspect, it's been good.


In the beginning, and for several months after he left, it wasn't the easiest thing in the world. Jason was very involved in the nighttime bedtime ritual. That took a little time to revamp. For a while, she just slept with me because she was scared I would leave, too. That broke my heart for weeks. She would go get in bed and for 30 minutes would call out for me to make sure I was still here. After a while, she and I found our own routine and then she transitioned back into her own bed. I did finally get her a new, cool bed and that really helped with changing things up a bit. 

I tried to make sure that she and I were talking as much as she needed to and that I was addressing all of her feelings. We started a mommy and me journal and began doing that each night together, which really helped with this. I highly suggest that anyone going through a divorce find a journal like this for your son or daughter, age appropriate, and begin doing this each night. There are tons out there on Amazon. You might never discuss the divorce, but what it does is create a new bond and a new routine for you and your child that leads to discussion. I started counseling, and so did she. She knows that counseling is there just for her - that she gets to go and talk about whatever she wants. I set this up through Children First in Grand Prairie, and luckily, because of the grant they get through the city and fundraisers, it costs me nothing. So, she gets access to a licensed counselor in "play therapy." She goes and plays - if she talks about the divorce? Great. If she doesn't? That's fine too. But she knows that hour is there JUST for her, and she can do whatever she wants to with it. She knows mom has her time too, and that these types of settings help us to talk about our feelings. 

It's been very, very important to me to not only listen to her feelings, but validate them. When she asks me why things are happening this way, or why daddy left, or anything else that comes up, I never tell her we don't need to talk about it right now, or anything that makes her feel like she can't share with me questions she has. There have been things that have happened, choices Jason has made in all of this, that are against what we believe in as Christians. The hard part is figuring out the line with kids on not lying to them, but also not making them feel like certain choices are OK. I began telling her that adults can make bad choices to. "You know in school when you choose to talk and you get on yellow?" I would say to her. "Well, sometimes adults make choices that aren't good, too, and those choices have consequences. When you talk, you get on yellow. When you are an adult, there are still consequences. It doesn't mean we don't love each other, even if we've made bad choices. It just means that sometimes daddies and mommies make bad choices, too." 

I made the decision very early on that I will not lie to my child, but I will also not include her in anything that is adult situations. That's been very hard - and I had to decide how to do that. Jason suggested in the beginning that we say, "Mom and dad just can't get along, so we decided it was best to not be married anymore." That wasn't the truth. Not only that, but it sets her up for the expectation that if we could only get along, we wouldn't be getting a divorce. I do believe in certain situations, when you are the spouse the decides to leave the marriage and it was not a mutually agreed upon decision, that choice is yours to bare. So, I don't condemn him. But when she asked why we are getting a divorce, I will tell her it's because daddy decided he didn't want to stay married to me anymore. He still loves me because I am your mom, and he will always love you because you are his daughter.

This might not be something others agree to, but you you have to understand - this wasn't something Avery saw coming, either. She didn't have parents who fought and fought and fought constantly. She had parents who always said they will always be together. I think part of the problem with divorce in this country is that people seem to think that neither spouse needs to be responsible to their actions to their children, that it needs to be mutual in the best interest of the kids. I don't agree with this in all situations, however, you can tell the truth without berating the other parent to the child.

The biggest thing that I've had to see is that no matter what Jason is/was doing, Avery has a very strong and very resilient mother, and because of that, has been a strong and resilient child. I'm not saying that to toot my own horn but it's the truth. There are so many things I do just because I know I have two little eyes watching me. When I have had sad days, I just share them with her. I'm careful not to put her in the position of making me feel better, but just so she knows that moms can be sad too, and that dad not being here makes me sad sometimes. When I have bad days and am impatient, I tell her, "I'm so sorry Avery. I've had a rough day, but I will be better." Those rough days have been few and far between, because most of the time her optimistic and positive attitude rubs off on me and I think, if my 7 year old can be this sunny, can't I be too?

She sees that my worth wasn't determined by how another person felt about me. I am still productive, I still get up and do what I need to do, and am thriving. That's not to say it's OK not to have stretches where functioning at the basic level isn't the hardest thing in the world, because everyone handles grief completely differently. But for me, I made a choice that no matter how I felt that day, I was going to put in my 100% for my kiddo. And then have my nervous breakdowns with my friends later, after she went to bed. Lol. It makes me so proud that she constantly sees people commend me, and that I have put her around so many people who support us and who love on us. She tells people all the time, "This is my mom! She built a pool in our backyard." I just cannot tell you how that makes me feel. I mean, you guys out there make me feel good. My daughter being proud of me makes me SOAR.

Divorce absolutely stinks. It's not a choice I would wish on anyone. But I've tried to make lemonade out of lemons here, and my daughter has followed suit. She is just the coolest 7 year old kid in the world, in my humble opinion. And these are just the coolest 13 and 16 year olds on the planet, as well.


Comments

Roberta Sheffield said…
Jenna,
I’m so proud of you and Avery!!! It’s
great that you are getting to see the kids
because I know how much you love them!
You are setting a great example!
Love ya girl!❤️
Roberta

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.