Skip to main content

The Passion of the Christ

Jason and I were reminded this morning about this movie....we had a lovely day, it was a gorgeous day with family. We celebrated our Lord's resurrection and we sang beautiful songs....but after we got home and put Avery to bed, Jason suggested we watch the movie The Passion of the Christ.

I saw this movie back in 2004 when it came out in the theater. I spent the majority of the film with my hands over my ears, my eyes closed and balling. It was such a gut wrenching experience that I swore once was enough, I'd never watch that movie again, it was too much for me to handle, even the first time. In 2004, my life was in a different place with Christ. I knew Him and He knew me, but I wasn't close to Him. He was in my heart, faintly but there, but He certainly wasn't the Lord of it. Watching this movie was gut wrenching because of the physical pain that Jesus went through, but I don't think I truly understood the fullness of what it was I was witnessing.

As a 36 year old, I am closer to God than I've ever been, and when Jason said we needed to watch it, we both agreed - as a Christian, I feel that's it's not only our obligation to watch it but also to watch it with our eyes completely open. As I watched the movie, the whippings, the floggings, the cat of nine tails, the taunts, the crown of thorns, and the nailing to the cross, no matter how much I wanted to shut my eyes and pretend "it's only a movie" I just couldn't. It broke my heart in a million pieces - for Jesus and for us. I have fully began to grasp the weight of what Jesus bore on that cross. And while I'll never know what that must feel like, I know that now, I understand that sacrifice more than ever.

As my daughter came out during the movie for another hug, I hugged her so tight I couldn't squeeze her any tighter. As I looked at her beautiful flawless skin, I just kept imagining Jesus as a bouncing baby and then as a man, ripped and bloody, taking the punishment because of me. And I thought about Mary watching as her son went through this torment and I then realized the full weight of what God asked of her, when he told her she'd give birth to the Messiah. She knew that at some point, she'd watch her son die at the hands of man, the very ones He came to save. And then I think about those men, the ones who beat and humiliated Him, as they watched Him breathe His last breath, then watched as the whole earth shook and realized "this surely was the Son of God." And the religious leaders, who turned away from Jesus' being beaten, the very thing they asked for, and the cowards they must have been and the fear He struck in their hearts. And then I thought about our God up in heaven, watching his son bear the weight of all the world's sin, so much so that this beautiful innocent, sinless man, was so ugly to him in the last moments that he turned his back on Jesus from the ugliness He was cloaked in.

But thank God it didn't end that way. Thank God, Jesus came back and rose again. Thank God for loving me that much, loving a lowly sinner like me enough to do that for me. Thank God for sending his son to take my place and for a son who knew what was going to happen, and let it happen anyway. If you haven't seen that movie in a while, I highly suggest doing so.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.