Skip to main content

And then two people fell in love.....


As many of you might know, something really neat happened in my life about 4 months ago. I was reunited with an old friend, Jason Whitehead. Jason and I knew each other back in our younger days in the IBC youth group and had a "thing" for each other (then didn't, then did, then didn't, then did) for years. He was my very first boyfriend and was the first guy I ever held hands with! When we were younger, I had an issue with being in a relationship and even though Jason cared for me and wanted to be with me, he tells me now he knew I had "committment issues" (as many as I could have at the ripe old age of 13) and knew I wouldn't be someone that would be a good relationship person. So, as time went on, he and I stopped being really close friends. He went to Evangel Temple, me to South, and then onto graduation and beyond. After high school, we lost touch and only saw each other once every few years and random church reunions and an occasional visit to Texas Roadhouse. It just seemed as though our fate was to be friends, friends we saw very infrequently, and nothing more.

About a year ago, through myspace, we reunited and had a very interesting phone conversation. I knew he was no longer married and we talked about life and how we've grown up, things we've learned, his kiddos, and many other topics. I was still semi-involved with someone at the time, not enough to be in a relationship, but enough that I wasn't ready to start anything with anyone, and despite what Jason might have wished had happened, I "blew him off" (as he likes to call it). In the year that passed between when we talked and this spring, alot happened in my life and I had some revelations about what I wanted, what I needed, how I wanted a relationship to be, and what I wanted out of life. Jason also went through some very hard life lessons and gained some knowledge about what he wanted out of life. Then, in April, and through Facebook (thank you again, social networking) Jason and I were again, reunited, only this time felt much, much different. It began innocently enough, we just started emailing back and forth, then we started texting, then we started calling. For about a week, we were just getting to know each other, and after several hours spent on the phone we both had a feeling that this might be something more than a simple flirtation. We decided that we wanted to meet and grab a drink or something. The more days that passed until our meeting day the more nervous we became. Would we still be attracted to each other? Would there be chemistry? Is he/she a good kisser? As excitement was building, we were both hopeful things would work out as well face to face as through the phone.

We decided to get together on a Sunday and to get the first kiss out of the way first thing. ( We only held hands in the teenage years, remember!) So, he came to pick me up, he walked around the car and I met him outside. He was even cuter than I remembered. As butterflies were fluttering in my stomach, without saying a word, he kissed me. Sparks. I think we both knew this was going to lead to good things right then and there, and as the date went on, the more we talked we began to realize why God has not allowed us to be together sooner: things happened in His timing, not ours. The more we shared stories, the more we realized that neither of us could have been in a relationship with each other before this very moment, we simply weren't ready for what God was ready to do in our lives and with each other. I know for me, I wasn't ready for a family or to settle down, I had some stuff I had to work through before I could be good for anyone else. But the bottom line was the at this point in our life, we were wise enough to look back on past mistakes and could look forward with the hope of learning from those mistakes and starting over.

Things with Jason and I progressed very quickly and before I knew it, he had said he loved me and I knew I had loved him too. The love we feel for each other is different then any other love I had known. It seemed bigger than me, an understanding love, a patient love, a love with adoration and appreciation, a love with respect. I had never known that type of love outside of the love for my family. It's a very secure type of love, one where I know Jason feels the same way and we can share those feelings together. I thank God everyday for the blessings in my life, especially Jason because he has started a huge change for me, a change for the better, and I look forward to spending so much more time with him, and sharing so many other life events and milestones with him in our future together.

So, now you know how Jason and I came together and a little about the way we feel for each other. Stay tuned for other stories!!

Comments

Nikki McCallum said…
Awwwww....I love it!!! So happy for you guys!!!
Jen said…
Wow! That is a great story. I am so happy for the two of you. Inglewood sure did lead to some great couples!!!
Jen (Sanders) de Wolfe

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.