Skip to main content

Saying Goodbye to My Dream House

Six years ago, almost to the day, I posted about us moving into our dream house. 

It was titled, "When You Are Least Expecting It."  I find it ironic, given the way all of this ended, as surprisingly as it began. 

When Jason first left, I had three major fears: 1) Losing my marriage, 2) Losing my stepkids and 3) Losing my house. 

My house is the last on that list of concerns. Of those three things, I've kept the one thing that mattered most, which is knowing I will always be in my stepkids' lives. While I didn't have much control how all of this played out, I was able to negotiate in our decree that when I got rid of the house would be my decision on my terms. I've been paying for it alone since February and the Lord saw fit to take care of me financially until I was ready to emotionally give it up.

The last few months, I've been really thinking about the house and working through my emotions about it. Every week, I get more and more aggravated with having to keep up with the maintenance and cleaning. It's just way bigger than the two of us need. I look around and see places where Jason and I worked side by side in our office, and sleep in the room we shared together. I see the kids rooms that have gone empty for pretty much the entire last 10 months, barring a few random evenings here and there where they've stayed with me, or other guests who have come to visit. I still call their rooms Jordan's room and Sophia's room, even though I don't really feel their presence in them anymore.

This house is a party house, meant for a big family. It's a lovely wonderful house with a beautiful history and a great story. It's given me and my family so many great times. It's held up beautifully and has seen so many family visits, friend visits, parties, showers, Christmas Eves and New Years Eve gatherings,trick-or-treating, ping pong games, game nights with friends and kids, at least 5 birthday parties for Avery and me, a refuge for family when they've needed a place to stay, Disciple Nows, bunco games, a Christmas Tour of Homes, so many tours inside my house by me I can't even count and a wonderful place to be proud of. 

A few months ago, I started being more aggravated with the sheer amount of time it took me to take care of the house. I realized just how much time I was spending sweeping, steam cleaning, cleaning bathrooms and mirrors. etc. And I think my aggravation with it started becoming stronger than my sadness of not having it anymore. That's when I realized it was time to let it go. 

I'm not sure when we will get it on the market, but it will probably be soon. Pray for us as we go through this transition. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That "Thing" in That Basket Isn't a Baby, You Know That, Right?

I have had the most horrible case of writer's block lately! With that said, I saw this article on Babycenter and I just had to write something about it.   So, we've heard of the trend of eating the placenta after birth . We've heard of the trend of putting them in pill form to get the nutrients . But this? This to me, is just the craziest of them all.   As a group of beings on this planet, I've never seen any other mammal who evolves to get to a certain place, then de-evolves on purpose, to be more "natural." I am sure I am seriously about to put my foot in my mouth, I am sure there are (some) people out there that I might offend with my "closed-mindedness" on this topic. But this is just, well, ridiculous to me.   Basically, after the placenta comes out, instead of cutting the cord and detaching it from the baby, you leave the placenta on, they salt it to help with the decomp process, add rosemary (I am guessing for the smell?), then p...

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst...

Why I am Pro Universal Healthcare and Changes to Our Healthcare System

Due to my recent proactivity with my credit and paying off debt, I decided to give the hospital a call where I was admitted about a month ago and ask about my bill. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it in the mail and I wanted to get an idea of what I'd be paying for my stay. I get on the phone with the billing department and the woman is just as nice as can be, really. She was surprised I'd even called her, considering I didn't even have a bill yet. She told me she'd sent the bill over to my insurance to be approved and paid but they hadn't heard back yet. "Just out of curiosity," I asked, knowing I would be responsible for 20% of the final bill, "how much was it?" What I heard next shocked me.   "$61,000" she said.   I said, "$61,000? I was only in the hospital for a night and only on anti-biotics, you can't be serious! My daughter cost me less than a third of that to give birth to and I was in the hospital two nights!...