Skip to main content

True Strength

There are times in all of this when it can become very tempting to allow the enemy to pull you over to the dark side. When someone else continues to make poor choices that are downright disrespectful and wrong - someone that you trusted with your heart, someone you trust to raise your child with you - it can be maddening and frustrating to watch. You want them to be different, and change, and see the error of their ways, but they just don't. They do hurtful things and cause pain, yet it doesn't seem to bother them. You don't see remorse, you just see more bad choices. 

There are so many times, and I'm sure will continue to be so many more, where I flirt with the line between anger and bitterness. I am constantly having to let things go. There are constantly things that are being done that are having to be forgiven and moved on from. It seems that it's a neverending battle in my heart and my mind, that say, "You have every reason in the world to be upset. But if you spend your time being upset, it will only devour you." That's the constant turmoil I am in - the unfairness of feeling righteous anger and hurt while simultaneously knowing that anger and hurt can overtake my life, if not always checked. 

It bothered me for a long time with friends or my counselor would remind me that I had no control over what Jason was doing, but I could control what I was doing. "You can't make someone do something they don't want to do." It's not fair, I would think!! I was so frustrated when people would tell me at some point, I was just going to have to accept what was happening, move on and let it go. I was frustrated that they would tell me I had no control over someone else's actions, and ultimately, he doesn't care what I was feeling about it, anyway. I wanted to hold on to my righteous anger, like some sort of security blanket. I didn't want to let it go. He needs to be accountable, I would think. He needs to know what he is doing is wrong and I won't stop until he does. 

At some point in all of this, it became obvious that the anger was going away. Anger about the betrayal and the abandonment, and about the end of my marriage. I stopped feeling sad about what I had lost, and I realized that things really were going to be OK. Each day brings new challenges and hurts, but while I can be upset about something that happens, I'm getting to the point where a roll of the eyes and a check of the boundaries is all it takes, then I can move on to the next part of my day. I am grateful because I have people who continue to remind me not to let it get me down, and who remind me that I am better than these things and that being upset about it only wastes my time and energy.

I've figured out that true strength really isn't about what you can take - it's about what you can let go. What do they say in recovery - "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference." This is so true - and it has served me well. You can be upset with someone else's choices until the cows come home...be mad that their life has gone on, seemingly without consequences, and constantly be worried about what they are and aren't doing. But all that does is keep you stuck in this place and keeps your energy focused on something else besides moving forward. 

Moving forward doesn't mean you are saying what the other person did or does is OK. It doesn't mean that you are accepting their actions or condoning them. It doesn't mean that you don't still have the right to be upset about it from time to time. It just means that you are going to go on living a fruitful and productive life, despite the choices another person is making. I also started getting tired of the energy I was putting into the emotions I was feeling about things. There is only a finite amount of energy you have inside of you each day, and a finite amount of hours. After a while, I just started paying attention to how much of each I was investing in being mad, and ultimately, investing myself into a one-sided situation. I was spending hours each day investing thoughts and feelings - hours I was not investing in thinking about the future, career goals, recovering, friendships, family, etc. Who wants to do that? Not me. 

This doesn't mean there aren't boundaries of behavior, especially not when you are raising a child with someone else. It doesn't mean accepting everything someone does and never expecting responsibility and accountability. It just means not spending all day long stewing over it. It also means that you are turning the situation over to God to handle, so that you can move on to other things. 

If there is something you've been holding on to that's keeping you from moving forward in your life, let it go and let God take it over. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.