Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Out There!! 

I saw a picture on my "memories" on Facebook this morning and it reminded me that 9 years ago on Thanksgiving, I brought home a two day old 6 lb baby named Avery Grace Whitehead. It was so cold that day - the whole week hadn't been cold, but that day, it was. She looked so tiny and I couldn't believe I was now in charge of another human being! 

One of my favorite stories in the whole Bible is in Joshua 4. At this point, Moses had died and Joshua was leading the Israelites into the land of Canaan. They'd be wandering in the desert for 40 years at this point and gone through A LOT. Remember - they'd be slaves in Egypt but escaped slavery with just a little bit of God's help and survived in the desert with just a little bit of God's provision (obviously, I'm being funny - the entire reason any of that happened was entirely because of God). The Israelites had to cross the Jordan River, which flows just south of Lebanon and Syria, in between Israel and Jordan. This was in the spring, when the river was the highest. Remember that there were still thousands of people and they weren't just carrying themselves across this river, they were carrying other items of great importance, namely the Ark of the Covenant. God dried the river up at precisely the right time and place for everyone to cross it.  After they crossed the Jordan river, Joshua 4 tells the story about how God told Joshua to take 12 men from each of the 12 tribes to take 12 stones from the river and go and set up a memorial where they would camp overnight. The stones were to be in the middle of the Jordan River (where they still stand today). God told them that when their kids ask them why the stones were there, they can tell them this was the place where God led them safely over the Jordan. 

I love this story because it's all about having reminders of times when things worked out and when God pulled you through a time that was nearly impossible or really difficult. I think these reminders are so very important. Holidays work in the same way - each year, we celebrate something we are to remember and it brings back mental reminders that help us with special events or days. Thanksgiving is a great example of that....for me, not only is Thanksgiving a reminder of the early makings of our country, but it is a reminder of my child and how God made me a mother. 

In my Bible's notes, for this chapter it asks the following question: "Do you have traditions - special dates or special places - to help your children learn about God's work in your life? Do you take time to tell them what God has done for you - forgiving and saving you, answering your prayers, supplying your needs? Retelling your story will help keep memories of God's faithfulness alive in your family." 

So today, as we are thankful for things in our life, tell your family a story they might not know of a time when God worked in your life and did something for you that only God could have done. 

Related image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Skin Care Regimen?

Since turning 34 this year, I've been really trying to make sure I am taking care of my skin. I have been using Cover Girl Liquid Powder for years, but it always seemed to break my neck out. And full disclosure, my face cleaning routine consisted of using Avery's baby wipes (which actually do remove eye makeup surprisingly well). So, needless to say, my skin didn't always look its best.   So, I received some gift cards for my birthday and I decided to go ahead and spring for some better products. First thing I did was get something designed to clean my face. I ordered the Olay ProX Microdermabrasion System.     This system came with the battery-operated scrubber with both a brush and foam pad, plus every day face wash and microdermabrasion wash to be used twice a week. I have really loved using this system. The beauty is that you can really use any face wash you'd like. I will probably buy a pore-reducing wash after the tube they sent me is empty. This syst

It was a very good day.

I love it when God smiles upon us. I mean, He smiles upon us all the time. But sometimes, it's like sunshine, and Christmas morning, and rainbows, and babies, and awesomeness. On steroids. And I know that those times are not always permanent, so I learn to really wrap myself in His goodness, to take it all in, be happy, and just sit back and wait to see what He is going to do in my life. We have been struggling so long. I knew it was only a matter of time before things would be OK again. Where we would feel a little stability. Where we would take all of the things we learned while struggling and apply then when times are good. We have alot of great things going on in our lives right now. Some really great things. Some amazing, mindblowing, off the grid kind of great things. I wish I could share more, but for right now, let's just say that we are incredibly blessed with some great opportunities God is putting in our lives. I leave you with a gorgeous picture of our biggest bl

Dancing With Dad

I have been working on a project these last couple of weeks for my previous company. Yesterday, I was working on my computer and heard roaring laughter coming from Avery's room. I walk in and found Jason and Avery dancing and singing away.   By sheer coincidence, this popped up on my Timehop today. Avery was only 1 in this picture. Boy, are these kiddos lucky to have such a great dad! It makes me heart melt.