Monday, May 15, 2017

Movie Night at the Whiteheads

Movie nights have always been a part of the Whitehead traditions. When we first got married, we were literally so broke it was really all we could do. As time progressed, and money grew easier to part with, movie nights are still very much alive in our household.
 
When the kids were younger, it was pretty easy to find movies they'd both watch. Sophia had just turned 4 and Jordan just turned 7, but for the most part, cartoons were still the name of the game. This was our very first picture together, the three of us, watching Finding Nemo. At the time, I was 29 years old and had spent the last 10 years or so going out every night. This was definitely a change for me, relaxing on a couch with two little ones cuddling up next to me, watching a Pixar movie.
 
 
 
We would try to mix it up and make it interesting - we had the smallest living room in that little apartment, but would put our tent right in the living room while watching movies and eating fun junk!!
 
 

 
Occasionally, we would splurge on a movie night out, like this time we saw Cloudy with a Change of Meatballs at the IMAX.
 

 
But for the most part, we loved being home and watching movies. And we LOVE the way Jason makes us popcorn. Only with a popcorn popper, with special toppings just for us. We eat lots of popcorn.
 

Lots....
 

And lots....
 

 
And lots of popcorn. Even our pups get it on the action every once in a while.
 

 
Now that the kids are older, 15, 12 and 6, it's becoming harder and harder to watch movies that the whole family will like. Jordan likes action, Sophia loves that she's 12 and doesn't like watching cartoons of any kind anymore and Avery is still in kindergarten so she can't watch a lot of things we can all watch.
 
Pure Flix has been popping up on my Facebook feed and I had to give it a looksee. I was pretty surprised at this particular streaming channel. I honestly thought it would just be a bunch of boring movies I had no interest in. But after looking through some of the titles, I was pretty excited to try it out in my house! If you follow the link above, you can also receive one month free to give it a try.
 
There were three that popped out at me that I would like to try first - Queens of Nashville is the story of all of our favorite women artists and their rise to stardom. Carrie Underwood, Reba, Miranda Lambert, and more! I think that might be a girls night in type movie. Time Changer is one I picked for all of - it's an action movie about traveling into the future. iShine KNECT is specifically for Sophia and Avery. It's a faith based show, along the same format as Hannah Montana and iCarly. I thought they would really enjoy watching it.
 
 
So, I'm curious - what are your movie night essentials?
 

No comments: